Difficult

James walked around his castle, stared up at the portraits on the walls, his hand moved against the stone wall. He stopped once he saw the family portrait, painted from long ago, back when things were good within his family. 

"Your majesty?" He turned to see the royal adviser, Edward, a good friend of his. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, not really," James muttered as he glanced back at the portrait.

"Is there anything I can do?" Edward asked, standing beside him.

"No, I'm afraid not. It's just that.. I don't know how to take care of Alexander.. He's not like me or his mother," he lowered his head. "He can be so difficult at times yet he is just like his mother." 

"Seems like he inherited both yours and Mary's personality and merged them together to make him, him," Edward chuckled.

James glared at Edward, nudging his shoulder. Edward just laughed. "I was not that difficult."

"Are you now? Who forced their father to allow them to marry a girl who wasn't a royal?" Edward questioned, crossing his arms with a smirk on his face.

"Say you, you introduced me to Mary," James chuckled, then he frowned again.

"I didn't mean for you to fall for her," Edward spoke, patting Jame on the back. "Say, king, should we be heading there now? The nobles are probably waiting for you."

James nodded his head, following Edward.