2

The sweet songs of birds filled the sky as I rolled out of bed. I was used to waking up at the crack of dawn. We had to avoid the midday sun during harvest, or we would get to hot. Excitement was running through me as I stood, my heart beating a hundred miles an hour.

Today was the aptitude test.

I ran to my wardrobe, and pulled out a long, flowing red skirt and paired it with a white vest top. I pulled my long brown hair into two even braids, and decided to get some breakfast.

It was early in the morning, and there were people wandering the faction. The fields were peaceful at this time of day, with the morning breeze and early starters, and the sun was bright. My parents were at work, so I didn't think I would see them until I got back. I decided I would go grab something small to eat, and prepare myself. My mind hadn't allowed me to get much sleep, filled with nothing but joy.

I grabbed my white sandals and walked down the sandy roads towards the centre of the faction. This time tomorrow, I'd be doing this walk for the last time.

I knew I'd miss the life I had in amity. The faction was the most beautiful in the city, and my family meant the world to me. But I knew this had to be done.

I'd daydreamed about this new life for years, and it was finally time to make my dream a reality.

Arriving at the canteen interrupted my thoughts. It was almost empty. I grabbed a tray and headed to the serving stations.

I chose to just grab an apple and a glass of water, I didn't want too much food in my system incase the test made me feel ill. I sat in the far corner of the canteen, watching the morning slowly get busier.

Out of nowhere, I heard the familiar voices of my parents.

"Lucy, there you are!" my dad said, smiling at me.

I turned around, a smile stretching across my face. I wasn't expecting to see them before my test. I ran over and hugged them.

My mum let go, "are you ready to start heading to the city centre?"

Living on the outskirts of the city meant it took us longer than the other factions to get to the testing centre. We needed to set off an hour or so early.

"Yes, never been readier!" I grinned.

I followed my parents towards a bus in the faction centre. It had come to pick up all the amity teens my age, who would undergo the test today. But that meant my parents wouldn't be able to come on the journey with me.

I joined the queue that was forming to enter the vehicle, my parents by my side.

As I quickly reached the front, it was time for me to go. My dad squeezed my arm, and my mum wished me luck. I smiled and climbed on.

I sat at the back of the bus, near some of my friends from school. We engrossed in happy chatter, which made the ride feel like minutes.

They were all nervous, but I couldn't understand why. The test would help them understand who they were, what was scary about that? Sure, it wouldn't be the most pleasant experience but we had to do it.

My heart slowed as I saw the test centre. The tall building looked down on us as we piled out of the van. A long line had formed outside the doors, with a rainbow of clothes.

It was easy to recognise what faction each person was from, just by what they were wearing. Us amity members were all dressed in bright clothes, and had tanned skin. We all looked happy, and chatted amongst ourselves.

Those from abnegation wore plain grey clothing, usually modest. The boys had short hair, and girls had theirs nearly tied away. They looked morbid, and stood quietly alongside each other.

The dauntless wore black outfits, that varied from cargo pants to tight fitted shorts. Their skin displayed intricate tattoos and metal piercings. They were the loudest section.

The candor always looked smart, wearing black and white office wear. But they looked too serious.

And the erudite were recognised by their bright blue clothing, a colour that represented intelligence.

The line didn't take long to go down, and I soon found myself in the waiting room. I'd been split up from the girls I came with, probably to make the testing go faster.

The room was plain white, and had large windows overlooking the city. From where I was sat, I could see the fields I used to call home in the distance.

I never realised how big the city actually was, and how much space each faction occupied. But I couldn't spot where the dauntless lived. I watched as a train sped around the city, and spotted the factionless sector. That consisted of people who were kicked out of their faction, or decided to leave. They got support from abnegation, and wore clothes of all colours. It-

"Lucy Riley." I looked up, my chain of thought gone.

"We are ready to carry out your aptitude test."