4

"So you got what you wanted?" my dad asked.

"Dad, you know I can't say." I laughed. "But I got the result I knew I would get."

I mean, it wasn't a lie.

He smiled, and guilt ran over my body again. He'd come to say goodnight to me. After getting back in the afternoon, I wanted to spend the day with my parents. I realised that these were our last hours together.

I helped them with their labour in the fields, then had tea as usual at the canteen. We then went back to my cousins house after we ate.

They had just learnt a new card game, so the evening was spent learning it. The hours had quickly slipped away, as it often does when we spend time with them. My heart sank whenever I realised I would never be able to play it again with them.

But I couldn't say goodbye. I couldn't tell them what I wanted to do. It was against the rules. As much as it pained me, I had to keep this to myself. It would just make it even harder.

My mum entered my room.

"Goodnight darling."

"Night mum."

"Sleep well, you have a big day ahead of you tomorrow."

I smiled, if only she knew.

"Yeah, goodnight Lucy. I love you."

"I love you too dad."

I was alone again. Just me and my excitement once again.

I got changed into my favourite pyjamas, and grabbed a pair of fuzzy socks. I walked over to the large window in my room and looked out.

I looked at the fields of corn and berries that I had helped to harvest. The kids playground where I had met all my friends. I looked at the moon in the sky, I would never see it from this angle again.

I turned around and looked at my room. The desk in the corner where I'd done all my school work, and learnt to draw. The large bed in the middle of the room, where I'd had countless sleepovers. The wooden wardrobe that I'd spent hours in-front of, debating what combination of clothes to wear.

I thought about my life, and how happy I had been. My parents had done an amazing job, but I couldn't thank them. My heart ached when I thought about not seeing them. How would they take me transferring tomorrow? Surely, my auntie and cousins would comfort them, but would it do? Their only child was moving away.

But I had do do this for me. This wasn't about them. It was my choice, and my future.

It was finally my turn to chose what happens, to declare which values I agree with. It was my turn to make sure I was happy and fit in. And I knew exactly what faction that would be in. I had known since I was young. It was time to change my life.