5

"Lucy, get up you'll be late." I heard my dad's voice as I peeled my eyes open. My body felt exhausted. It had taken me forever to fall asleep.

I slowly climbed out of my bed, and trudged across my room to my wardrobe. It was the last time I'd be doing this.

A wave of melancholy drew over me as I opened the doors. All these clothes that I wouldn't wear again.

I grabbed a pair of denim shorts and yellow vest top, an outfit I could move about easily in. I had no idea what my life would be like later today, but I knew I wouldn't be sitting around.

I scraped my hair back into a ponytail and braided it, making sure no strands were left out.

I slowly walked down the stairs, taking in all aspects of the house. The photos hung up on the walls, the couch in the lounge where we snuggled together in winter.

So many memories in one place.

I grabbed my white trainers from under the stairs. Sandals didn't feel like a sensible choice.

My parents were stood waiting for my by the door, as they usually were before breakfast. My mum kissed me on the head.

"Are you ready for breakfast darling?" My dad asked. "The bus will be taking us to the ceremony soon."

"Yes." I said, forcing a teethy smile to spread across my lips. I couldn't look him in the eye.

As we got closer to the canteen, we saw multiple buses lined up. Teens and their families were already on board, the others in a huddle waiting to climb on.

"Just grab some fruit to go." My mum said, as we ran into the canteen. We didn't realise how late we actually were.

The three of us returned with an assortment of fruit, a full meal to eat on the coach. We climbed on and received smiled from all the families. I'd miss the friendliness of everyone.

I sat next to my mum, while my dad sat next to us on his own row. The journey was around the same length as the one to the testing center, but this one was more emotional. I wouldn't be returning back. I faced forwards the whole journey, blinking back the tears as they swelled in my eyes.

As we reached the centre, my eyes widened at the amount of people. Groups of colour stood together, as we waited for them to open the doors.

My eyes were drawn to the group of dauntless, who were laughing and talking among themselves. Their faction seemed so much more free and exciting than the others.

I looked at the rest of the amity members. All so happy, could I really see myself anywhere else?

Out of no where, a large bell rang through the air. It signalled that we could begin entering the ceremony. I stood close to my parents as we headed to find our seats.

Each faction had their own sections, the coloured clothing clearly setting each apart. Dauntless were the faction next to us.

Once we were all in, a tall abnegation man entered the stage. He had silver hair and harsh eyes. His skin was worn, and his smile looked fake.

"Good morning all." He began. His voice stopped the conversations of the crowd immediately.

"We are all gathered here today for the anual choosing ceremony. Today we watch as our sons and daughters join their forever faction."

He began to talk about the history of the town, and why the factions were important, but I tuned him out. I wasn't in the mood for a lecture.

I watched the dauntless members, and admired the art on their bodies. Smiled as they discretely joked with one another during his speech.

Then I looked at my faction, all wearing the bright and happy clothing. I looked at my parents. They wore smile lines on their face, and hands showed their hard work. I was proud to be their daughter.

"Without further ado, let's begin the decisions." The man cried, receiving a round of applause.

It went in alphabetical order, so I'd be towards the end. Most teens stuck to their faction of birth, but some changes surprised me. A boy from dauntless went to candor, multiple from abnegation joined amity, and a few candor teens went to erudite. But the transfers that caught my attention most were the ones to dauntless.

The faction gave heavy cheers every time someone joined them, whether they were a transfer or faction born. They were welcomed the same. Pats on the backs, or high fives, they were genuinely happy to see people join them.

"Lucy Riley" the voice from stage bellowed. I froze.

My parents turned to me.

"We are so proud of the girl you have become Lucy." My dad stated.

"We love you, no matter your faction", my mum smiled.

I grinned at them, blinking away the tears in my eyes. For such an easy decision, I didn't realise it would be so hard.

I walked down the steps towards the stage, my trainers echoing my steps. The room was silent as the abnegation man passed me a small silver blade.

I carefully ran it across my palm, and watched as some blood began to show. I looked down at the table. There were five large bowls. The bowl of grey stones signalled abnegation, the water was erudite, my old home was a bowl of earth, the glass was candor, and my new faction was a bowl of coals.

I hovered my hand over the bowl of soil, could I really leave my parents? No. This was for me. I quickly move my hand and squeezed so blood trickled out. The coals sizzled as the thick red liquid landed on them.

"Dauntless."