Chapter 5: Progress

...

"No, not if I knew"

_________________________________________

Midoriya sat in his lab, surrounded by familiar equipment.
It was his free period, with no class to teach he found himself experimenting per usual.
"The supplies from Giran come in tomorrow. That means whatever is left of my current supply either gets used or placed in a different container to make sure the old doesn't mix with the new.
Cataloging isn't fun"
He sighed, noting down yet another failed experiment. He safely discarded the supplies and cleaned whatever needed to be cleaned before opening up his cabinets and pulling out his supplies.

There was a knock at his door, he turned around and found principal Nezu there.
"greetings professor Midoriya, another failed experiment?" He asked, walking in.
"per usual." Midoriya replied, pulling out some labeling stickers.

"what was it this time? Another attempt to find the solution to immortality or unraveling how some of these new modern day quirks have changed?"
Nezu inquired.

"the former. And I won't be able to run an experiment again until tomorrow because I'm low on necessary supplies. "

"how do you know which supplies are necessary and which won't help?"

"when you've been alive as long as I have, you note which things have done a better job at getting the job done.
Some of the chemicals get close to destroying my cells but everytime they somehow comeback. It feels like a game of tug of war"
Midoriya said, labeling the stickers with the date of the day and the chemical names before sticking it into whatever remained of the little amount of some supplies left.

"interesting. Well, what do you think of the current class 1-A? You've taught them for about a week now. Any students sticking out?"
Nezu asked, sitting down at Midoriya's desk while he continued to label some containers.

"they all seem to be decently promising. Though, one of them has a very arrogant personality. I think after some months here, it'll tone down. Other than that, the students seem to be doing an okay job at grasping the basics of quirk theory. Granted- we're only at the introduction but I've known adults who couldn't understand basic fundamentals"
Midoriya replied.

"that's good to hear." Nezu fell quiet before looking around and asking
"Has all might decided?"

Midoriya paused, glancing around at the room and the doors. His room windows were open, wind breezed through. The cold autumn air freshened the room and slightly moved the blinds on the windows which sat at the highest floor of the school.
He verified no one was around and turned around to face Nezu, pausing his labeling.

"all might has yet to tell me about his decision regarding OFA. And Yoichi wouldn't have liked it if I were to help him select a new successor. I heard rumors about a senior here, Togata Mirio, being the highest likely successor- but All Might has yet to confirm with me whether or not he gave him the quirk"
Midoriya replied.

"well what do you think? I know you don't want to have a say in it, but if you could choose who would it be?"

"I wouldn't know. I'd recommend overall it be someone quirkless though.

The issue that Ive noticed over the years is OFA's growing potential. And as someone who's studied quirks and know the human limitations, passing down a quirk like that onto someone who already has a quirk isn't safe.

Humans have a capacity, to everything, but quirks even more so. If someone who already has a quirk were to inherit OFA, I believe they wouldn't be able to live for too long. In the past it's already happened before, and that was before OFA reached it's strength of today. If a person with a quirk were to inherit it now?
They're lucky if they make it past their 40s."
Midoriya replied with the shrug of his shoulders.