Chapter 23: Dispute

...

"Today you lost because you didn't push past your limits"
Midoriya said with a tone that neither held disappointment nor pride.

Bakugo turned his head, facing Midoriya now, with a slight look of surprise, "what"
He said, it was all he could utter.

"I noticed before the end of the round that you were about to truly push your quirk to it's max"
Midoriya paused, glancing over at all might who watched from a distance.
"but the round ended before you were able to.

Had you done it, you would've won"
He said.

The words clung onto Bakugo's conscious, they were words he'd never be able to forget.
"if I just had slightly more time- if All Might didn't get captured so soon...

UGH"
He thought to himself, it wouldn't be a loss he'd be able to get over so easily, especially knowing he was seconds away from victory.

Midoriya could see the burning in his eyes, "good. This way he'll grow from this mistake. He can't tolerate losses very well, especially when he could've won if he just acted faster. This'll protect him from AFO, he'll know not to waste time"
He thought to himself.
"Now"
Midoriya said, redrawing Bakugo's attention away from his angry thoughts.
"Even though you did lose, you did a good job otherwise.
You utilized your quirk without making it your main form of attack, using it to propel your strength without giving me ammo against you. You reacted fast and were able to dodge some of my attacks, it shows you have good recovery time. You made sure not to leave openings to attack either.
On top of that, you communicated somewhat well with your teammates, covering each other's backs and using each other's abilities to fight for your goal.
Your only mistake today was that you were too late.
And that could cost you your life in the battle field"
He explained, watching All Might walk over.

"Tch"
Bakugo said, his angry expression subsiding into one of just simple annoyance. He glanced over and found All Might waving his hand.

The two fell silent as all might made his way over, wearing a bright smile on his face.

"Hello you two!"
He said heartily
"Just wanted to say, great job today Bakugo!"
All might smiled, patting his shoulder.

"...thanks"
He grumbled, looking away.

"Ha! Ha! Ha! Of course!
I'm sure Sensei already spoke to you about things"
All might said, speaking as he usually would.
And as he continued to talk, Midoriya suddenly got a strange feeling in the back of his head.

"Something's off"
He thought to himself, but he couldn't pinpoint what was off.
He glanced over back at the class, most of them were talking amongst themselves or receiving advice from Aizawa.
Nothing was amiss.
Midoriya shook his head, sighing, "well it's nothing here."

"What's up with you?"
Bakugo asked, confused.

"Yeah sensei, you alright?"
All might asked as well.

Midoriya looked back to face them, his face going from slightly suspicious back to its usual neutral , "nothing. Just some thoughts on my mind" he glanced back at the class once more, but nothing had changed.

"Alrighty!
Anyway young Bakugo, be ready for the festival!"
_________________________________________

Weeks passed like the minute, zipping on past.
The class trained like there was no tomorrow, building up their strength and capabilities.
Bakugo especially trained hard as not only was he receiving in class training but he was also receiving training from Midoriya and even All Might, who was a bit late to the start.