The Sorting Ceremony

"Lilith, wake up!" I'm woken by being shaken and shouted at by Dean. I prop my head back up and blink groggily.

"The trains arrived." He says, a large smile on his face. My heart pounds and I stand up fast, grabbing my bag from the top compartment. I follow Seamus and Dean out of the carriage.

"Did Neville find his toad?" I ask, noticing that he is missing.

"Nope, poor buggers lost the thing." Replies Seamus. I can't help but feel bad for Neville, loosing his pet on his first day of school must suck.

We walk out off the train and are greeted by a large man. He has to be at least 7ft tall with hands larger than my entire torso. And has wild black hair that's longer than even mine. Perhaps a half giant?

"Firs' years follow me!" He says in a strange accent. I think i will meet many people with different accents at Hogwarts. Me, Dean, and Seamus all follow the giant man.

He leads us to the entry way of Hogwarts, a large stone room with dozens of painting on the wall that are moving and talking.

"Wait ere until further instruction." He says to us, before walking through the large door, that presumably leads to the great hall.

"So it's true then." Says a boy with platinum blonde hair. Draco Malfoy. I know this boy, his mother and my guardian are very close with each other, meaning that we have been forced to talk to each other on multiple occasions. He isn't very easy to get along with but at least there's a face I know at Hogwarts.

"Harry Potter, has come to Hogwarts." He finishes.

'Harry Potter?' I think to myself. Of course I'm familiar with his story. Everyone in the wizarding world, knows his story. How he defeated the dark lord when he was just a baby.

Draco and Harry talk to each other for a bit, however I don't bother to listen to the conversation.

On the other side of the crowd I spot Neville. I wave at him and he sends a weak smile in return. He looks worried, presumably about his toad.

Just then, a woman comes over to us. She is tall, with black hair that's in a tight bun and rectangular glasses.

"Welcome to Hogwarts." She says.
"Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."
Before she can finish, she is interrupted.

"Trevor!" He shouts. The silly toad had made its way into the castle and was sitting on the stone steps, just below the professor. She sends him a stern look, then continues.

"You may follow me." She says, opening the large doors. She leads us all through the great hall. There are four long tables, filled with thousands of students, as well as floating candles.

" All right, will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." The professor says, before going up to the stool at the front, and putting a dusty old hat on top of it.

I scan the teachers table looking for my guardian. When I see him, I meet his eyes and smile excitedly at him. He nods back at me.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce." Dumbledoor starts.
"The first years, please note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." He finished and a round of applause ensues.

"When I call your name, you will come forth. I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." Says the tall woman.

First was Susan Bones, a Hufflepuff. Then Hermione Granger, a gryffindor. After a few names, mine was called.

"Lilith Riddle." I walk anxiously up to the stool, feeling everyone's eyes on me.

She places the hat on my head.

"Riddle eh?" Says the hat. I wonder to myself what's so special about my last name.

"Better be..." he pauses for dramatic effect.

"SLYTHERIN!" He says, loud enough for the whole great hall to hear.

I look to Severus and see him smiling at me. Not a toothy smile, more of a smirk. I get off the stall and walk to the slytherin table. I scan for empty seats and see one next to a blonde girl, who is also a first year.

I take my place next to the blonde girl and watch the rest of the ceremony. When Harry Potters name is called, the room goes dead silent. Everyone wants to know what house the boy who lived will be in. After some decision from the hat, he puts him in Gryffindor.

A loud applause for the boy breaks out. After a few more names the sorting ceremony is finished, and we start the feast.

Plates and plates of food appear in front of us, yet I can't eat a bite. I'm too anxious for classes.

"Are you ok?" Says the blonde girl next to me. She notices that I have no food on my plate.

"I'm fine, just nervous." I reply.

"I'm Edith Briggs." She says, reaching out her hand to me.

"Lilith Riddle." I reply, returning the hand shake.
~~~~~~~~~~~~|||~~~~~~~~~~~
Once the feast is over, we are lead to the common rooms by our house captains.

I walk into my dorm and claim a bed over in the corner, next to a window. I place my luggage down and start to unpack.

Whilst unpacking, three other girls walk in, all claiming their own bed. These are the girls I'll be sharing a dorm with. They all introduce themselves to me. Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bullstrode and the last girl who came in, needed no introduction. It was Edith Briggs, the kind girl that I spoke to at dinner.

I finish unpacking and am exhausted, so I decide to go to sleep. Where my bed is, the light from the moon shines onto me, giving a sense of comfort.

--------------