Black Lake

Saturday 9th November 1991

Our little group of friends all decided to spend our weekend hanging out around the black lake. We have had a busy week of revising before Christmas, and wanted to ease some anxiety.

"I wonder what creatures are down there." Edith says, peering at the lake. Dean, Seamus and Neville are sat on a large blanket, that's situated under a tree, watching me and Edith look at the water.

"How bout I push you in and you go find out?" I say wobbling her slightly. She grips onto my arm tightly.

"You do that and I'll drown you!"

"But we came here to swim!" I protest.

"It's the middle of bloody November, you'll get hypothermia before you can even see whats down their." Seamus calls out from behind us. He has a fair point, plus I'm a pussy when it comes to the cold.

"I'll give you 3 galleons if you jump in." Dean wagers. I turn to him and raise an eyebrow.

"I'll do it for 5." Dean thinks for a bit before replying.

"Deal." He finally says. It's a good thing I did wear my swimsuit just in case.

I take off my jacket and dress, then jump into the freezing cold water. Seamus was right about me potentially getting hypothermia. The water was so cold you could freeze in it, yet it was refreshing at the same time.

"You should come in! It's nice!" I yell to the others, as I rise to the surface of the water.

"Your insane!" Edith replies. I wasn't one to say no to a bet, the money was totally worth it.

"You owe me Dean." I say to him.
Just the Seamus jumps into the water, splashing everywhere and creating a huge wave that almost sends my head under.

"Fucking hell its cold!" He says, shivering.

"I quiet like it." I say, laughing.

"Come one guys don't be pussies! Jump in!." Seamus yells at the others.

Edith rolls her eyes and then jumps into the water. Dean soon follows suit.

"Aren't you gonna come in Nev?" Dean asks. The boy has been very quiet this entire time, which I was thankful for because every time he spoke I would now blush, and Edith would make fun of me.

"It way too cold, you guys are crazy." He says. I splash Edith with the water abruptly.

"Oh your on!" She says playfully.

Suddenly it's an all out splash war, everyone pushing each other under the water and seeing who can make the biggest splash.

I notice from the corner of my eye, Neville getting up to test the waters. Unfortunately for him, Dean had gotten out of the water and pushed Neville in, then dove in himself. The poor boy was shivering in the water.

"Don't like the cold Nev?" Edith teased.

"Not really, I prefer not to get frostbite." He replies, with a shaking voice.

I dive under the water and look around. It was actually quiet boring down their, a few fish every now and then but other than that it was barren. Probably because it's coming up to winter.

As I swim around, I suddenly feel a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pull me to the surface.

Seamus had grabbed me and lifted me in the air, only to then chuck me back in the water.

"I'm gonna kill you!" I scream at the boy, hurling towards him.

"You'll have to catch me first!" He says, swimming away rapidly. I start to chase the boy but unfortunately, I'm not the best swimmer, so I'm not able to catch up.

"Fine you win!" I pout at my defeat, making the others laugh.

"We should play that game where you push people off of each others shoulders." Edith says excitedly.

"What, chicken?" Dean asks.

"Oooh that's it's name." She says.

"Sure!" I say.

"I got dibs on being on someone's shoulders." She says loudly.

"Same!" I say.

"I don't want to be on the bottom!" Seamus says sadly.

"Well then you can be the judge and me and Neville will do it." Dean replies.
"Your ok with that right Nev?" He asks.

"Oh, sure." He replies, uncertain.

Edith rushes over to Dean and gets on his shoulders, leaving me to go on Neville's. That sneaky girl.

I climb on top and attempt to stabilise myself.

"Your on Lilith!" Edith says.

"Okay, three, two, oneeee" Seamus increases the suspense.
"GO!" We start trying to push each other, which was proving to be hard because we were both pretty strong.

After a while of pushing, I finally push her off of deans shoulders, accidentally knocking Dean over in the process.

"YES!" I say excited.
"WE WINNN!" I laugh, whilst trying to get off of Neville's shoulders.

"Ok fine you win." She says defeated.

We all decide to call it a day and get out of the water. I brought a towel with me so I attempt to dry my hair.

"You owe me 5 galleons Dean." I say. He turns to me annoyed and rolls his eyes.

I start shivering and try to look for my jacket that I had thrown off somewhere.

"You ok? Your shivering." Neville asks.

"What? Oh uh, yeah." I reply, blushing and attempting to break eye contact. Finally I find my jacket and put it on.

"We should do that again, in the summer though." Seamus says laughing.

Today was definitely one of the best memories I've made at Hogwarts so far.
--------------