Potions

Us Gryffindors and Slytherins all line up outside of the potions classroom. I can tell nerves are getting the best of some of the Gryffindors but most of the Slytherins seem relaxed. Ironic considering one of Gryffindors traits is bravery.

The classroom door opens by itself and we all take it as our cue to walk inside.

The classroom is filled with shelves and shelves of ingredients and potions. There are several desks each with a cauldron on it.

Me and Edith both find a seat together and sit down. As we do, Severus bursts in the door, or as I should say, professor Snape.

"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class."

"As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few..." He stares right at me, I smile at him in response.

" ...who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death."
Harry, who's sat to my left, is writing notes about what the professor is saying.

"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough... to not... pay... attention."
A fizzy haired girl to his left nudges him, making him realise that Snape was talking about him.

"Mr. Potter. Our... new... celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" I know the answer to this question of course, it would make drought of the living dead. Unfortunately, Harry doesn't, so he just shrugs his shoulders.

"You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" The girl next to Harry, shoots her arm up every time he asks a question. Looks like I have a competitor for potions. The answer is obviously a goats stomach, but I suppose anyone who hasn't researched won't know that.

"I don't know sir." He replies.

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" There isn't a difference, they're the same plant.

"I don't know sir." He says, going a slight shade of pink.

"Pity, clearly fame isn't everything." He gives him a death stare. I can't help but feel bad for the boy, he comes from a muggle family so of course he doesn't know.

"Today we will be making a cure for boils potion." I've made this before so I know what I'm doing.

"I will only say these instructions once. So listen carefully, and write down notes." I know the recipe off by heart, he forced me to learn it.

"Mix crushed snake fangs until the potion turns pink. Mix Porcupine quills until the potion turns orange. Pour stewed horned slugs until it turns turquoise. And last, heat the potion until it turns red." He says. I walk over to the shelves full of ingredients with Edith.

"I didn't listen to a word of that.." she says in my ear. I giggle at her. We finish getting our ingredients and walk back to our desk.

"Sooo, how do we make this?" Edith says to me. I smile at her and starts making the potion. Pink, then orange, then turquoise, then red. It's perfect. Me and Edith put our hands up to signal to Snape that we are done.

He walks over an pears into our cauldron, then gives a nod of approval. I turn to Edith and give her a smirk. She rolls her eyes at me, making us both giggle.
--------------