Part 31

The following morning...

You woke up with a pounding headache and a mouth that felt like a desert. The sunlight filtering through the window taunted you as you groaned and rolled over in bed.

Suddenly, your best friend Emma burst into the room, armed with a bottle of water and a pack of aspirin. She wore a disapproving expression, which only intensified as she took in the state of your dishevelled appearance.

"Good morning, sunshine," Emma chirped sarcastically, plopping down on the edge of your bed. "Care to explain why you look like you've been hit by a bus?"

Groaning, you sat up and accepted the water and aspirin gratefully. "Last night was... rough," you admitted, wincing as you swallowed the pills. "I may have made a questionable decision while celebrating the opening of my show with the other dancers."

Emma raised an eyebrow, her curiosity piqued. "Do tell," she urged, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "What did you do this time?"

You sighed heavily, feeling a mixture of regret and slight embarrassment. " Cillian texted me after the show" you began, and Emma sighed, a look of distaste crossing her face.

"And, guess who I drunkenly agreed to go on a date with last night?" you asked, being a rhetorical question of course.

Emma's eyes widened in disbelief. "No! You didn't," she exclaimed, shaking her head in disapproval. "After everything he put you through?"

Shrugging, you felt a mix of defiance and curiosity. "I don't know, Em. I am so stupid, although, it's just dinner. What harm could it do?" you tried to justify your decision.

Emma leaned back, crossing her arms over her chest. "Harm? Are you kidding me? This is Cillian Murphy we are talking about! The guy who dumped you because you were too young for him and then slept with his assistant."

You winced at the reminder but refused to back down. "I know, I know. But people change, right? Maybe he's had a change of heart, or maybe he just wants to apologise. Either way, I'll be fine. I can't back out now."

Emma narrowed her eyes at you. "You're playing with fire, my friend. But if you're dead-set on going, at least promise me you'll keep your guard up. I don't want to see you get hurt again."

You gave her a grateful smile, touched by her concern. "Thanks, Em. I promise I'll be careful. And hey, it might even turn out to be a disaster that we can laugh about later."

Emma sighed, clearly not convinced. "I hope you're right. Now, tell me more about your show and the drunken shenanigans you got up to with your fellow dancers last night."

Changing the subject, you eagerly shared stories of the wild night at the club, the crazy dance routines, and the embarrassing karaoke session that had you all in stitches.

Emma laughed, her worry momentarily forgotten. "Sounds like you had a proper blast! Just make sure you don't let Cillian back into your life too easily. Remember, you deserve better."

Nodding in agreement, you finished your water and started getting ready for the day. "Trust me, Em. I won't let him walk all over me again. It's just dinner and I don't actually want him back. I just want closure" you told her and, as you tidied up your apartment, Emma hovered by your side, occasionally giving you sceptical glances. "I hope you know what you're doing," she muttered under her breath.

You shot her a confident smile. "Cillian is in the past. I promise" you said and, with that, the two of you left your apartment, ready to face the day and whatever unexpected twists and turns the evening's dinner date with Cillian had in store for you.