Chapter Five

Oooooh we're all getting petty this chapter...

Not gonna say too much, just...strap in for the ride, yall. This was far too satisfying to write honestly.

Referenced lyrics from "Castles Crumbling" by Taylor Swift ft. Hayley Williams (TV, From the Vault)

~oOo~oOo~oOo~

Aziraphale took a deep breath as he stepped out of the elevator, doors closing behind him.

There was only one thought on his mind, the same thought that had been occupying his every waking hour for the better part of six thousand years.

Crowley.

He had to find Crowley.

(To Aziraphale, the elevator ride halfway up had barely lasted twenty minutes, but what the angel didn't know was that time worked differently in the elevator suspended between realms. In fact, it worked exactly as its occupants wanted it to work, and as Aziraphale had been anything but eager to arrive in Heaven, the elevator had - whithout his knowlege - obliged his subconscious wish and stretched time accordingly.

What felt like a few minutes to Aziraphale had in fact been a few hours on Earth, more than enough time for a certain demon to drive to his flat, mope around in his car to the voice of Taylor Swift, sleep for some time and just generally feel sorry for himself.

Also more than enough time for a certain car to feel a shift in her favourite angel's conviction, to leave her parking space in Mayfair and make the short drive back to her designated space in front of a book shop.)

Aziraphale looked down the street, startling when he spotted the familiar silhouette of the Bentley parked in her usual spot. An involuntary smile spread on his face at the sight of the car, and his feet made their way over to her before he even knew what he was doing.

"Why, hello there." He gently stroked a hand over her hood. "Are you...here to bring me to him?"

Instead of an answer, the car turned yellow before his eyes, doors unlocking.

Aziraphale got in, breathing in the familiar smell of smoke and leather that lingered in the Bentley's seats.

"He didn't..." Aziraphale knew it couldn't be, but his silly little heart skipped a hopeful beat at the thought anyway. "He didn't send you, did he?"

The Bentley slowly pulled out of the parking lot, and Aziraphale sighed.

"No, of course not. He couldn't have known."

And he probably wouldn't have bothered even if he knew.

"Could you please stay black, though?" Aziraphale smiled sadly. "I want to feel like he's here with me, you know?"

The Bentley did as he asked, the air rippling around him as reality was bent back to black paint and an interior tragically lacking any travel sweets. The angel patted the steering wheel in thanks, watching as the Bentley followed the road he knew would lead them to the flat in Mayfair. At least Crowley had gotten his home back.

Once I had an empire in a golden age, the radio started playing all of a sudden.
I was held up so high, I used to be great
They used to cheer when they saw my face
Now, I fear I have fallen from grace

"That's new." Aziraphale listened to the unfamiliar female voice coming from the speakers, sad and hauntingly beautiful and not at all Crowley's usual taste.

Their faith was strong, but I pushed it too far
I held that grudge 'til it tore me apart

His chest constricted painfully at the words, a shudder running down Aziraphale's spine as he tried to smile through the sudden onslaught of emotion.