short story 146 (FortPeat #1)

I have had this drift saved since November 28, 2023. ◡̈

Between losing motivation, getting writer's block, some things (in my personal life) happening, and mental health, this draft has been sitting for almost FIVE MONTHS. 😅

Trust me, I wondered if I was ever going to get this one out, too.

‧₊˚🖇️✩ ₊˚ ☁ ⊹♡

* FortPeat  ~  E D I T I O N

* NO PROMPT  *

‧₊˚🖇️✩ ₊˚ ☁ ⊹♡

Noeul looks up as Fort, yet again, walks away from Peat looking dejected.

"You know—" Noeul begins, but Peat cuts him off.
"I don't have time for a relationship." Peat interrupts.
Noeul sighs, raising an eyebrow. "That has absolutely nothing to do with what I just did. Like... at all."
It's Peat's turn to sigh. "Look. I know where you're going with this, Eul. I like him, I do, but—"
"But what, Peat?" Noeul says. "You keep putting him off and putting him off. One of these days you're going to have to give him a straight answer— If you like him, and you're serious about it because one of these days he won't be there. You can't keep him waiting just because you're 'not ready.'" Noeul walks away at this, leaving Peat with his thoughts.

Peat knows Noeul is right. He has no more excuses. Fort is there now, yes, but in a week? A month? A year? Will he have given up by then?

Fort had only been told one thing: dress casual.
He had no clue what Peat had planned for them.
He didn't even know where they were going.

Fort, admittedly, was nervous.
He had a feeling he knew what was coming, and he wasn't sure that he was ready to hear it.

‧₊˚🖇️✩ ₊˚ ☁ ⊹♡

Peat watched Fort as he walked down the driveway, approaching the car and getting in.

"Can you tell me where we're going now?" Fort asks.
Peat smiles. "No. Now buckle up."

As they drive down the road, Fort gazes out the windows, trying to see if he can recognize anything (He has no luck doing this).

"See anything?" Peat asks with a laugh.
Fort turns away from the window, scowling. "No."
Peat only laughs harder.
"Why can't you tell me where we're going?" Fort asks.
"Because it's a surprise." Peat says, putting emphasis on the 'surprise'.
Fort 'humphs ' and leans back against the seat.

The nerves are building up for both of them.

For Peat, because anything could happen. He just hoped it was the right thing.

For Fort, because he had no idea what was coming. And if his thoughts were correct... Well, he didn't want anything to do with it. He might just throw up.

‧₊˚🖇️✩ ₊˚ ☁ ⊹♡

Peat grabs Fort's wrist, pulling him down the moonlit path as the sound of the waves crashing in the background reaches Fort's ears.

"The beach?" Fort asks, looking at Peat.
Peat only shrugs, giving him a small smile.

Fort sits on the sand, looking out at the waves.
He's preparing himself for whatever's coming.

Peat glances over at him and what he's thinking spills out of his mouth. "You're so pretty." He murmurs.
Fort looks up quickly, his heart leaping in his chest.

Silence falls between the two.

"Why'd you bring me here?" Fort finally asks.
Peat swallows. "I just thought you might like it."
Fort nods, but stays silent.
Peat looks away. He'd completely messed this whole thing up.

Fort bites his lip. Was this going where he thought?
Was he too scared? Too embarrassed? He had known Peat was bringing him here to give him answer, one way or the other, but he was realizing now that it most likely was going the way he'd thought. The way he'd hoped it wouldn't.

Without realizing it, tears prick the back of his eyes.
You can't cry, Fort. He tells himself.
"I'll be right back." He tells Peat, who smiles and nods.

Finding the nearest bathroom, Fort locks himself in a stall and lets his tears fall.

The car ride is mostly silent. They'd left as soon as Fort had come back from the bathroom.

"Fort." Peat says, nervously tapping the steering wheel. "I didn't take you to the beach tonight because I thought you'd like it..."
Fort looks out the window. "I know. You don't have to explain."
Peat doesn't know what to say next. Was Fort mad?

The silence resumes, both of them completely wrapped up in their thoughts.

‧₊˚🖇️✩ ₊˚ ☁ ⊹♡

Peat walks Fort to his front door, his nerves jumping. He can feel the blood rushing in his veins, can hear his heartbeat in his head.
"Fort." Peat says when Fort moves to close the door.
Fort glances at him, tilting his head to the side.
Now or never, Peat. Peat steps forward and tugs Fort to him, connecting their lips.

Peat pulls back, looking at Fort. "I'm sorry." He says. "I'm sorry about tonight. I planned it so much differently. I'm sorry about all the other times. I'm sorry that you've been chasing me for so long. It's not that I didn't—"
Fort puts his finger against Peat's lips, smiling. "Shut up." He says, pulling Peat into the house as he kisses him again.

Holding Peat's face in his hands, Fort pushes him against the door to close it.

Peat presses a hand against his chest, feeling Fort's heart beat pounding under his palm; with a smile, he pulls back and looks him in the eyes.
"You're whipped, Fort." He murmurs.
Fort raises an eyebrow. "So are you." He says as he puts his hand over Peat's heart. Peat shrugs, as if he's saying, Touché.

Fort kisses him again quickly before pulling back and burying his face in Peat's neck.

Peat smiles, wrapping his arms around Fort.
"I'm never gonna let go." He mumbles softly. "Never."