short story 107 (NeoMark #3)

* NeoMark  ~  E D I T I O N

* NO PROMPT  *

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Neo heaves a deep sigh as he sits down in a chair beside Khao.
"You look like you're having a rough go of it," Khao says with a laugh.
Neo shoots him a glare.
"You're thinking about something. What's up?"
Neo takes another deep breath, shaking his head.
"Wanna talk about Mark?" Khao asks.
Neo looks up, bewildered. "Huh?"
"I know you like him."
"I know what have a crush feels like, Khao. This isn't a crush." Neo say simply.
Khao nods, raising an eyebrow. "Have you considered the fact that it's because your feelings are more than just a 'crush'?"
"What? No! Just... stop talking. I do not like Mark."

Khao laughs. "You do like him!"
First appears suddenly behind Khao, kissing his cheek and resting his arms on his shoulders. "Who likes who?"
"Nobody likes anybody." Neo says at the same time that Khao says "Neo likes Mark."
First nods. "And we're just figuring this out, or...?"
Neo huffs as Khao laughs.
"No! We're establishing the fact that I. Do. Not. Like. Him!" Neo exclaims.
"Don't like who?" Mark asks as he comes into the room.

Neo could scream as he quickly leaves the room.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Neo had spent a lot of time before talking to Khao, so naturally after talking to him he's forced to think about the feelings (that he doesn't have!) for Mark.

Mark's smile.
His dimples.
His eyes.
His cute nose.
And—
Oh boy.

Neo had realized he liked Mark a long time ago, but Mark was his friend— surely he couldn't like him.

They'd been hanging out a lot recently, so of course Neo had chalked up constantly thinking about him to that fact. When you hang out with someone a lot, you tend to think about them a lot... Right?

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything." The voice comes suddenly and Neo jumps a little, turning around to see the one person he doesn't exactly want to see right now.
"No. I've just been doing some thinking." Neo says, not making eye contact.
"Yeah?"
"Mark, I was thinking... Maybe... maybe we should take some time and keep some distance. Yeah? Just for a few weeks."
Mark looks at Neo, the hurt clear on his face. "What?"
Neo nods. "Yeah, maybe it would be best."
"I thought..." Mark begins, trailing off as he looks away.
Neo's pulse jumps. "You... thought what?"
"It doesn't matter."
"Mark, I—"
"I thought you wanted space?" Mark spits out, turning on his heel and leaving the room, the door slamming behind him.

He had done the wrong thing, hadn't he?

Mark leaned on the bathroom counter as the tears burned his eyes.