Chapter 98: The Cosmos Arena (9)

The two had stopped moving, but the audience continued to shout and scream. Even though the tables had turned significantly, with hope in their bets, the people contributed to the loud noise.

Jin’s words were overpowered by the wild crowd, and the two just stood and stared.

—Don’t go easy on me.

Hearing those words, Dante felt embarrassed.

‘Yeah… It could look like that. It could look like I’m going easy on you.’

In whatever situation, refusing to hurt the opponent meant failure as a warrior. That was disgraceful while confronting an enemy, and even more disrespectful in front of a worthy opponent.

‘Is there anything more embarrassing than going easy on an opponent that I value?’

The problem wasn’t whether or not to use his secret technique.

It was whether or not he would try his best without hesitation.

Ending the battle without doing so would be pointless regardless if he won or lost.

“I apologize for showing such disgrace. Let’s start anew.”

Dante pointed his sword at Jin, meaning to tap swords to represent respect for each other. Jin used his sword to tap Dante’s, emitting a soft musical sound of metal hitting metal.

And at that moment, they experienced a weird feeling.

The shouts and screams grew faint, like an echo traveling in a canyon. Their surroundings blurred and gradually became dark. In their world, it was just the two of them, standing in front of each other.

They both trusted that either one of them would put up an exhilarating fight. They didn’t need to talk to share this feeling. It was a common hallucination that swordmasters enter when dueling their rival.

“Then let’s begin.”

Whew.

Hoo.

They simultaneously took a deep breath.

It was difficult to tell who struck first as they clashed swords. Unlike their respectful sword taps in the beginning, the impact of their blades caused blinding sparks to scatter.

Sounds akin to explosions, the screech of metallic friction, and wind echoing throughout; aura flickering everywhere.

As if his exhaustion was a lie, Dante swung his sword more energetically than before. Jin, as well, channeled the rest of his energy in his attacks with a shout.

Dash.

Because of the impact, blood and sand splattered and sprayed throughout the arena.

In a moment where they should be cheering, the crowd grew quiet from shock. In their eyes, the two fighting teens looked like giants, and they didn’t dare to blink lest they would miss a moment of the fight.

It had been ten years since the arena had opened, but they never had a moment like this. The spectators—who originally came to watch a cruel slaughterfest—were now blessed with a spectacle. They were witnessing a duel between two talented knights.

At this point, the gambling aspect of the arena became irrelevant. Of course, once the battle finished, some would be laughing, and some would be crying.

Still, as of this moment, everyone was astonished by the fight.

‘Maybe I kind of underestimated Dante. I was sure he was exhausted, but where did this power come from…?!’