Chapter 15: Truth Revealed?

A tense mood filled the air.

Sweat could be seen dripping down people’s necks.

Having dealt with the impostors, the Black King Mercenaries ended up becoming Jin’s new escorts. However, the escorts couldn’t help but hold their breaths around their client. Now that the Yuta magicians had returned on their own, the mercenaries were the only ones left to take care of the terrifying kid.

‘What kind of a 10-year-old boy acts like this?’

The vice-captain of the Black King Mercenaries’ 3rd Corps asked himself—a question that all his men were also thinking.

The Black King Mercenaries! They are veteran warriors who can turn the tables on the battlefield. Bloodshed, broken bones, burnt skin! Nothing can stop these battle-scarred soldiers.

The sight of prisoners being mercilessly tortured and murdered is a daily occurrence to these men. Watching Jin order Gilly to kill the fake Jerome and Holtz in a bloody manner was nothing new to them.

Nevertheless, these vicious mercenaries were wary of Jin due to his age.

Where else would they ever find a 10-year-old behaving this way towards their assassin? Even though he was a Runcandel, he was merely a kid who had just left the Storm Castle and entered the world.

In fact, their senses were warning them to be extremely careful with Jin when they saw him give Gilly orders. His speech and behaviour weren’t those of a child, not to mention his method of disposal of the surviving assassin.

The mercenaries could only see Jin as a Runcandel overlord—who just happened to be somewhat short in height.

“We mustn’t make the slightest mistake until we successfully escort him to the transfer gate. Any frivolous or superficial behaviour is absolutely prohibited, do you understand?”

“Yes, Vice-captain Murka.”

The Black King Mercenaries—known for their rough and boorish behaviour—were acting like dignified gentlemen. They were all standing stiff and nervous, as if they were wearing tight, uncomfortable clothes.

However, they weren’t acting like this solely due to their fear of the child known as Jin Runcandel. There was also a hint of admiration and fascination in their eyes towards this dangerous boy.

“Young Master.”

While Jin was kicking the snow away as he walked, Gilly called out to him. She was wearing a calm expression and tone, but the boy caught the slight melancholic look that lasted for an instant.

“We’ll reach the village in about two hours. Once we arrive, it would be best to wait for the snowfall to die down before continuing our journey.”

“Let’s do that.”

Jin brushed off the snow piling on his shoulder.

“Oh, Gilly?”

“Yes, Young Master?”

“Don’t worry about what happened. It wasn’t your fault.”

Jin truly believed so in his heart. Even Khan hadn’t noticed that Jerome and Holtz were impostors back at the Storm Castle, so there was no way Gilly would’ve.

In addition, the fact that Jin knew better about the guardian knights’ rules than his nanny wasn’t much of a problem either. At the very least, Jin didn’t think so. Yet, Gilly was still dwelling on this incident.

“I apologize.”

Once he heard her reply, Jin wore a bitter smile as he recalled some memories.

Gilly never makes excuses.