Drinks under Darkness Nick x Reader

"Re: Your Brains" Is what's paying in the bar, btw! :)

This is a few months after getting rescued on The Parish. Still the apocalypse, but much less danger.

Y/F/A = Your Favorite Alcohol

It'd been several months since C.E.D.A had rescued the five of you from the bridge, in New Orleans. Your group had been brought to a small community, that resided in a small town that'd been restored. In those several months, communities had formed, more buildings had been restored, and babies had been born. There weren't many people here, maybe sixty or so, but every few weeks, more and more people were brought back. Sometimes it was just one, sometimes it was a little group.

Groups of four or five would often be assigned a small house with enough rooms for everyone. And fortunately for your group, they were assigned the same house, and that's how life had been thus far.

Your group has changed since you all first met. At first, everyone was somewhat on edge around each other, everyone being total strangers and all.

Coach was a confident leader, yet cautious of all. He still was, but he is much more relaxed now. But then? He was always tense, and ready to fire at the slightest sound to protect the others, which has caused more harm than good in several situations. He has also slimmed down a little, being less bulky than he once was.

Ellis hadn't changed much. He was still the silly, cheerful redneck that you met atop the burning hotel, back in Georgia. He became a close friend of yours, and acted like a brother to you. Although, there is someone who isn't super fond of your guys' friendship...

Rochelle was more anxious than ever. Jumping at the slightest sound or motion, and fingers constantly tapping. While she was an anxious one, she was more bland than white bread... and she was cheesier than a corporation trying to appeal to the younger generation. Admittedly, you found some of the corny jokes she made, rather funny, but a lot of her jokes made you roll your eyes.

And then there was... Nick. Your guys' relationship was... complicated. You could hardly figure him out, he was like a puzzle of ice shards, some pieces were razor sharp and layered, while others were simple and smooth. But that's beside the point.

Nick has certainly gotten a lot nicer, since your first met. He used to be very harsh, quick to lash out, and his words were always venomous, dripping with negativity and hate and pessimism. He was certainly unkind towards everyone, closed off, colder than a howling winter windstorm, and mysterious.

But there was something about him that made you WANT to know more! Perhaps it was the warmth you knew he had, tucked away under the many layers of jagged ice? Possibly it was his dashing looks? Or maybe it was just because he was so interesting, with so much depth? That, you weren't too sure of, but you kept digging deeper, keeping it at his own pace, and showing him kindness, regardless of the hurtful remarks he had ever said.

And now, you knew what resided in the center of his "icy heart".

Under all those layers, was a caring, passionate, and loyal man. A man you could count on to have your back. A man who you trusted would never leave you for dead. He was the kindest to you, and would immediately help you first, even though he would act like he didn't care right after. He certainly had a heart, but he always kept a frigid barrier up, even after melting it when you were around.

And that's what confused you. He was so aloof and unfriendly, yet was so caring when it came to you. Were you even considered his friend? What did he even think of you? Did he even share the same feelings you had for him?