1

CHAPTER 1 CatalinaMonday

CHAPTER 1
Catalina
Monday

It was way too early for this. I pulled the covers over my head to shield myself from the sunlight sneaking through my blinds and groaned. I was dead tired from tossing and turning in my bed all night long. There was no way in hell I was ready to get my butt up, but I couldn't sleep.

I had stupidly decided to stay up late last night binge-watching Gossip Girl for the gazillionth time. Three words, eight letters. Say it, and I'm yours. That line got me every freaking time. I felt so lucky to have found the Chuck to my Blair. My boyfriend Liam.

"Damn," I huffed under my breath, rolling onto my stomach as I felt my phone underneath me, groaning again because I forgot to charge it last night. Nice going, Cat.

I ripped the blankets away from my body and shrugged out of bed. Even though I was pretty sure I'd be cutting it close today once again, I needed to shake off the funk I'd been stuck in for the past couple of days. So my classes would have to wait until I took a nice, steamy shower.

Walking into the en suite of my bedroom, I plopped my towel down on the bathroom counter and began stripping out of my favorite flannel pajamas. I tossed them into the bathroom hamper, missing the damn basket completely. They landed on the floor, and I shrugged before I turned on the shower and stepped in.

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Once I finished washing myself, I turned off the water and grabbed my towel, swiftly drying myself off. Stepping out of the shower, I hurried over to the sink to finish my morning routine.

While brushing my teeth, I let my thoughts drift to my boyfriend, Liam, and how things had been off between us recently. Don't get me wrong, he was definitely my rock, and I knew every couple went through rough patches, especially after being together for three years. But the distance between us had been growing steadily in the past few months, and I couldn't shake that feeling, no matter how hard I tried.

Liam hadn't been around much lately, and he barely answered my calls. And when he finally did decide to call me back, he always had an excuse ready. Hey, baby girl, I'm tired. I've got plans with the boys tonight. You know I love you, right, Cat? I'm just swamped with this major school project, and it's stressing me out. Can we rain check? What he didn't realize was that I was going through my own stuff, and I needed him.

I desperately wanted to confront him about all his excuses, but I couldn't bear to start another argument. I was completely drained from our constant fighting. He would blow up over the most trivial things, and I just didn't have the energy to argue anymore. We used to be so happy—so deeply in love. But it hadn't felt like that in a long time. One could argue, my best friend, Lola, in particular, if I wasn't happy anymore, why not leave? But I didn't want to lose him. I loved Liam so freaking much.
He was my first everything, and I couldn't even begin to fathom life without him. I just miss our movie nights cuddling in bed, making out like a couple of horny teenagers. Mmm, God, and sex, I missed the sex. I have nothing to compare it to, but it was toe-curling amazing. Come to think of it, I don't even remember the last time we kissed, much less had made out or made love.