2

CHAPTER 2
Catalina

We arrived at the apartment complex, and I couldn't shake the thoughts swirling in my head about what to do with my car. Thankfully, Lola had picked me up from school and brought me home since I was still clueless after checking my emails during class. I didn't have a job, and it seemed like there were no potential prospects either.

Thank goodness for loans, or I'd be in serious trouble and might have to quit school. Sure, there was the looming debt, but I pushed that worry aside for now.

"Earth to Catalina." Lola's laughter broke through my thoughts, and I blinked, focusing on her waving hand in front of my face. I playfully swatted it away with a laugh. "There you are. You didn't tell me Liam was going to be here."

"He isn't," I replied, furrowing my brows as I stared at Liam's white Ford F-150 parked in front of my building. It was strange because I hadn't spoken to him all day.

Maybe he was here to see Jake. He's our neighbor from across the hall. One night, our cable went out due to Katie repeatedly flipping the breaker while blow-drying her hair when the game was on. Liam noticed the Superbowl party Jake was having so he went over to ask if he could watch, and they've been friends ever since.

Still didn't explain why he avoided my calls—not putting too much thought into it. Lola and I jumped out of the car and headed upstairs.

Turning to look back at me, Lola made a weird face as we approached my door. Our campus apartments were cheaply made because there was barely any insulation between the walls. You could hear everything but I'm guessing the tuition didn't cover that part.

Every time she visited Lo jokingly offered to let me live with her, but I knew she was serious. I couldn't. I didn't have anything to contribute. And just because her brothers pay for her to live in that big house didn't mean I was going to stay there for free.
"Do you hear that?"

The knocking sound of a steady pounding echoed into the hall.

"What the fuck is that?" I exclaimed, my curiosity piqued and a sense of unease creeping in.
I unlocked and opened the door to the apartment, and the commotion grew even louder. Determined to ignore it, I walked towards the kitchen to start cooking for Lola, trying my best to push the disturbing noise to the back of my mind. However, Lola had different plans. She pressed her ear against Katie's door and shot me a mischievous look, wiggling her arched eyebrows. That girl knew how to stir up trouble.

"Oh wow, I didn't know little miss priss actually knew how to take dick. Color me surprised," Lola whisper-yelled, her ear still pressed against the door.
"Ah yeah, baby, right there! You're fucking me so good! I love the way you feel inside of me!" We heard Katie's voice belting through the bedroom wall, and my discomfort skyrocketed while Lola seemed a little too entertained.

"Oh yeah, you like that, baby girl? Say my fucking name, Katie!" a familiar male voice pierced through the same wall.

My stomach dropped for a brief moment as an absurd thought crossed my mind. It couldn't be. I quickly dismissed it, shaking my head. Liam would never do something like that. But my expectations of him were shattered in an instant.

"Ah, yes, Liam, baby!" Katie's voice screamed out in response.

Lola and I stood frozen, our shocked expressions quickly turning into a mix of anger and betrayal.
"What the hell!" I shouted, bolting out of the kitchen and rushing past a still-stunned Lola.