11

CHAPTER 11
Catalina

"Domenico, thank you for the opportunity. I appreciate you giving me this job, but there's no way this will work."

Not giving him time to answer, I booked it out of Lorenzo's office, picking up speed as I made my way down the long hallway. Hearing heavy, fast-paced footsteps coming from behind me, I began to panic, encouraging me to only walk faster.

My worry began to settle when the steel staircase came into sight. Just as I was about to reach the landing, I was yanked into a poorly lit room. I yelped, squeezing my eyes shut and my stomach plummeted sending my anxiety shooting through the roof. Before I knew what's happening, I was pinned up against the door. Confusion skirted me when I felt a pair of soft but harsh lips crash down on mine, though I quietly whimpered into his mouth. I knew it was Lorenzo without looking at the possessive nature of the kiss.

Wait. What the hell is happening right now?

Coming to my senses, I opened my eyes and pushed him off me but he resisted me remaining unmoved. The nerve of this man. All the anger and hurt I'd been holding all these weeks slammed into me like a freight train and I couldn't stop myself from slapping him hard across the face. An echo sounded in the storage room around us and I flinched at my own actions. Furrowing his eyebrows, he reached up and swiped his long tattooed fingers over his reddening cheek. His icy blue eyes, burned with desire, connecting with mine, and I knew exactly what he was thinking. I shook my head, not wanting to give in to him so quickly, and his face softened. He gave me a look that, in the short time I've known him, I wasn't at all familiar with, and he sighed.

Enzo reached out and cupped my face. His thumbs caressing the apples of my cheeks. "I left that night because I didn't think I could have you."

"You can't." I tried to break free of his hold.

Enzo shook his head almost as though he could hear what I was thinking. "Don't leave, Tal-Catalina. You haven't even started yet and Lola said you needed this, don't let what happened between us ruin that."

Christ, he looked so sincere but that didn't change things. What he did was messed up and if he wasn't Lola's brother I would've never seen him again. So why was he here?

"Mm, let me make it to you," he said and I looked at him unsure what to say. I knew what I should've said but for some reason I couldn't find the words. 

At that point, my head was spinning. I didn't even know how to feel. There were so many questions running through my mind. Should I stay, or should I go? Were we going to be able to work together? Could I walk away from $25 an hour? What did Domenico and Lola think of me? Most importantly, why the hell was I so attracted to the asshole of a man standing in front of me? Unsure if I was even making the right decision, I opened my mouth and let the words spill out before I could change my mind.

"Okay, I'll stay."

"Good."

"But this can't happen." I motioned between us.

Nodding, he flashed me that sexy smirk, the same one from Friday night. My anger stupidly washed away, and I felt my knees go weak. But I continued speaking to him in the same even tone. I didn't want him to know he affected me that easily.

"You're going to be my boss, I don't think it'd be very professional to carry on sleeping with you. Plus, you did walk out on me and that wasn't cool."

When I tried to walk away from him, he just pushed me back against the door and kissed me hard. Breaking our lips, he looked at me with hunger in those electric azure eyes and it sent a shiver down my spine all the way down to my toes.