Chapter 17 Family Reunion

I'm waiting out the front of Central Station, looking out for my parents' car. There are no trains running from Canberra to Sydney and even if there was, it's only a three-hour drive from there to here. Most people would deem it as not worth it. As I stand here, flicking my phone's home screen back and forth, I notice something out of the corner of my eye. A white car. I look at the model. It's that four-door with the boot sticking out of the back kind of car, check. It's white, check. The brand is correct, check and finally, the number plate matches. I follow the car as it pulls into a parking space on the side of the road nearby.

The doors open and out jumps three people. A man in his mid-forties with short brown hair, a woman in her early forties with long, blonde hair and a boy with scruffy, blonde hair. I walk over to them.

"Hey mum, dad," I say before being squeezed by two hugs.

"Hi, honey." My mum says. "We missed you."

"I missed you guys too," I reply. We stay like that for a few more seconds before they release me. Next, my brother, Cody, walks up to me and holds out his fist.

"Hey, sis." He says. I bump his fist and reply,

"Hey, bro."

"I missed you."

"Yeah, well I sure didn't," I say jokingly. My mum lightly smacks the back of my head.

"Don't say that to your brother." She says, half-jokingly. "Codes, came all this way out to see you."

"Yeah well, that was his choice."

"Nah, mum forced me to come," Cody says.

"Then we're both in the same boat."

"Oi!" My mum yells at us as we both start laughing.

My family want to go to a café for lunch so we walk and talk down the street. As we walk down, Cody randomly stops.

"What's this?" He asks, pointing to a corner towards an alleyway. The three of us walk back to find one of those Magius papers I saw back when I was in Brisbane.

"That's nothing," I say, trying to get them to move on.

"There's heaps of them down that way." He points down the alleyway. Sure enough, the papers litter both walls of the alleyway. There are probably more than a hundred of them.

"Come on, this way." A voice says behind us. A group of girls move past us and down into the alleyway.

"Hey, where are you going." My mum calls out. The group of girls turn to us.

"There's a café down this way. Apparently, it's really good." One of them says. I look each of them up and down. They don't appear to be magical girls. What should I do? I should go down there and deal with the uwasa but on the other hand, I should keep my parents away from it. Cody can deal with it for all I care though.

"Let's check it out." My dad says. My family starts following the group of girls. I catch up to my family and try to look up at my dad's face, trying to see what he's thinking. His face is serious like he's preparing for the worst.

"Hey, dad," I whisper. "We shouldn't be here." He nods in agreement.

"I know, but they shouldn't be here either." He points to the girls.

"Can this be dealt with later?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" He replies. I don't know how to convey that I help them out later when they're in less danger. "All of you, just stick behind me. If there's any danger, run." My mum nods and pulls Cody in behind me. As the magical girl, I should be upfront but I can't do that without raising any suspicion.