Chapter 5 Jack-of-all-Trades

"And that's how we got our team name," Mia says as she leans over the coffee table towards me. I raise both of my hands up.

"That makes a bit more sense, but our team name being the result of losing a bet doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence." Mia sits back down and crosses her arms as she pouts.

"Well, Makayla, you seem to be coming out of your shell a bit." Chloe giggles. "But I can't believe you don't like our team name."

"How can you not like the name 'Pink Power Squad!' We shed tears and blood for that name!" Isabella exclaims after appearing at the door of her kitchen. Despite her aggressiveness, she has a huge smile on her face. Suddenly, her watch starts beeping, and her face turns serious. "Let's go.

It's been a few weeks since I went with the rest of the team to see Sophia a second time. We've been going on witch hunts pretty frequently, and I've been getting a lot better. My reflexes and speed are faster, and it feels like I can hold my own against some of the witches. My three teammates had a pretty good dynamic before I arrived. Isabella, the leader, has a shield and can heal people. She usually stays behind to protect Chloe, our long-range attacker who uses a bow. Mia, on the other hand, has a stun gun that can shoot a large amount of electricity. I still haven't found my place on the team yet. Using a gun should mean that I'm a long-range attacker like Chloe, but because it's a pistol, it's not very accurate at that range, meaning that I have to close the distance with witches. This means I'm kind of the medium to close-range attacker which isn't good since I'm the weakest member and the close range means I have no protection.

It's nighttime by the time we leave. Some areas are still busy while others are eerily quiet. Instead of walking through the streets like normal people, it's much faster to jump from rooftop to rooftop. It's also a lot more fun. We do this all while wearing our magical girl outfits which are surprisingly comfortable and agile. As if they're fitted just for us which, I mean, they probably are. Isabella wears a white undergarment with red shoulder, chest, and leg plates. Chloe has a yellow cloak with a hood that doesn't go over her head. She also wears a white top that covers her chest and a white skirt and yellow boots. Mia wears a blue, short sleeve vest with a black, long sleeve shirt underneath. Instead of a skirt, she has blue pants with a black strip on the side that runs all the way down to her black, ankle-high boots. Normally, we'd be very obvious to anyone passing by but because of the darkness and our speed, we're able to move undetected. That is until Chloe spots something.

"There!" Chloe points to toward a park. In the distance, I can barely make out a strange shape on the tree through some leaves and branches. I'm surprised she was even able to spot it. You'd barely be able to see it from the ground let alone up here on the rooftop. We make our way there and start jumping from treetop to treetop. This is a little more awkward and causes me to fall behind. Each branch I jump to I either fall too far forward or too far back and have to stabilise myself before jumping to the next one.

By the time I make it to the witches' tree, the other three have already entered. Without hesitation, I leap straight into the Labyrinth. The park turns into... the park? No, there are way more trees than before and they're all bending into the centre, blocking out the sky. I look around to see Mia running towards me.

"What are you doing, you idiot!?" Mia says as she reaches me. "We have to keep moving!" Before I have time to reply, Mia grabs my hand and leads me toward the others.

Suddenly, we stop at a group of trees that are so close together, we can't squeeze past to continue on the path.

"What? I don't get it. The others just took this path."