Chapter 16: injuries and setbacks

It was a bright and sunny day in Barcelona, and the stadium was buzzing with anticipation as Barcelona Femení prepared for an important match. Alexia Putellas, the star midfielder, was focused and determined to lead her team to victory. However, fate had different plans for her that day.

In the midst of a heated battle for possession, a collision with an opponent left Alexia writhing in pain on the pitch. Her teammates rushed to her side, their faces filled with concern, and the stadium fell into a hushed silence.

Elena, the sports journalist and Alexia's girlfriend, watched from the press box, her heart sinking as she saw Alexia clutching her ankle in agony. She quickly made her way down to the field, her worry intensifying with every step.

The medical team reached Alexia and began assessing her injury. It was clear that she couldn't continue playing. Her ankle was swollen and painful, and the tears welled up in her eyes as she realized the severity of the situation.

Elena, determined to be by Alexia's side, managed to make her way to the injured midfielder despite the chaos on the field. She knelt down beside her, her voice filled with reassurance. "Alexia, it's going to be okay. I'm here with you."

Alexia, her face contorted in pain, reached out to grip Elena's hand tightly. She couldn't hold back the tears any longer as the medical team carefully assessed her injury. The realization that she might be out of the game for a while weighed heavily on her.

With the match continuing around them, Elena remained by Alexia's side, offering comfort and support. She gently wiped away Alexia's tears with her thumb, her touch a soothing balm for the injured midfielder.

After a thorough examination, the medical team decided to transport Alexia to the hospital for further evaluation. Elena stayed with her every step of the way, her presence providing solace in a difficult moment.

At the hospital, the X-rays revealed that Alexia had suffered a fracture in her ankle. The news was devastating, and Alexia couldn't help but cry, her emotions overwhelming her. Elena held her close, her own eyes filled with tears as she whispered words of encouragement and love.

Once the medical procedures were completed, Elena helped Alexia back to her apartment. It was a challenging journey for the injured midfielder, but Elena's unwavering support made it bearable. She carried Alexia's crutches and assisted her every step of the way.

Back at the apartment, Elena carefully helped Alexia settle onto the couch. The pain in her ankle was excruciating, and Alexia clung to Elena, burying her face in her girlfriend's shoulder as she sobbed.

Elena held her, her own heart aching for the woman she loved. She whispered soothing words and kissed Alexia's forehead, providing a safe haven for her to express her pain and frustration.

As the evening wore on, Elena remained by Alexia's side, fetching ice packs and pain medication, doing everything she could to ease her suffering. She even ordered Alexia's favorite takeout to lift her spirits.

In the midst of the pain and uncertainty, Elena's unwavering presence was a source of comfort for Alexia. She cried into Elena's arms, venting her frustrations and fears, knowing that Elena would be there to catch every tear.

As the night deepened, Alexia's sobs finally subsided, leaving her exhausted and emotionally drained. Elena gently guided her to the bedroom, helping her change into comfortable pajamas.

Climbing into bed, Alexia clung to Elena, her face buried in the crook of her neck. Elena held her close, stroking her hair and murmuring sweet words of love and reassurance.

"I'm here, Alexia," Elena whispered. "I'll take care of you. We'll get through this together."

In that vulnerable moment, Alexia felt the depth of Elena's love and knew that, no matter the challenges they faced, they would overcome them hand in hand. As sleep finally claimed her, she held onto the certainty that she was not alone, that Elena would be there to support and care for her every step of the way.