Chapter 51: frustration

Alexia sat on the floor, her injured knee propped up, trying to engage Isabella in play, but her frustration boiled over. "Dammit!" She slammed a toy down, not realizing how her outburst had startled Isabella.

Just then, Elena walked in, and her eyes widened at the scene. She quickly moved to comfort Isabella, gently picking her up and rocking her. "Shhh, it's okay, mi amor," Elena cooed soothingly.

Alexia's anger deflated as she saw Isabella's tears. She sighed heavily, full of remorse. "I'm sorry, Bonita. I didn't mean to scare her," she admitted, her voice trembling with guilt.

Elena approached Alexia, still holding Isabella, and knelt beside her. "It's alright, mi cielo. We all have tough days. Let's calm Isabella down together," she said, giving Alexia a reassuring smile.

Alexia, her nerves still raw from the earlier incident, approached Isabella's crib with caution. The baby was whimpering softly, her tiny hands reaching out, seeking comfort. Elena stood beside her, her expression a mix of concern and understanding.

Gently, Alexia picked Isabella up, cradling her close to her chest. She whispered soothing words in Spanish, trying to calm both her daughter and herself. "Shh, mi amor, it's okay. Mommy didn't mean to scare you. We love you so much."

Isabella's cries began to subside as she felt the warmth and comfort of her mother's embrace. Elena placed a reassuring hand on Alexia's shoulder, offering support without judgment. "We all make mistakes, Alexia. Isabella knows how much you love her. Just be there for her, and she'll be okay."

Tears welled up in Alexia's eyes again, but this time, they were tears of relief. She held Isabella close, swaying gently as she continued to comfort her. "I promise, I'll always protect you, Isabella. I'll never let anything hurt you."

Elena smiled warmly at Alexia, seeing the sincerity in her eyes. Together, they stood there, as a family, soothing their precious daughter and strengthening the bond that held them all together.

Alexia crawled into bed beside Elena, her shoulders slumped with the weight of guilt. She wrapped her arms around her girlfriend and buried her face in Elena's chest, her tears soaking through the fabric of Elena's pajamas.

Elena held her close, gently stroking her hair as Alexia let out a choked sob. "Shh, mi amor, it's okay," Elena whispered soothingly, her own eyes glistening with empathy. "We all make mistakes, Alexia. Isabella will be fine, and she knows how much you love her."

Alexia's voice trembled as she tried to express her feelings. "I just... I can't believe I yelled like that. I scared her, Elena. She's so small, and I scared her."

Elena continued to hold her, offering a comforting presence. "It happens to all parents, Alexia. Parenthood comes with its challenges, and none of us are perfect. Isabella is lucky to have you as her mother. You love her deeply, and that's what matters most."

Alexia's sobs gradually subsided as she listened to Elena's reassuring words. She took a few deep breaths, trying to regain her composure. "I know, but I never want to hurt her or make her cry. I want to protect her from everything."

Elena kissed the top of Alexia's head. "And you will, mi amor. This is just a learning experience. We'll both grow as parents, and Isabella will grow with us. We're a family, and we'll always support each other."

As Alexia clung to Elena, she felt a mixture of emotions – guilt, fear, but also the deep love she had for her partner and their precious daughter.