Day Rises (Chapter 2)

I heard my mom walking up the stairs, which was more like stomping. My eyes shot open as I looked at the clock. 9:58!? I jumped out of bed and locked my door as fast as I could. I ran over to my drawer and found a black turtle-neck shirt, some jeans, a new pair of underwear, and a bra. I put them on as fast as I could and put my dirty clothes in a hamper.

I unlocked the door for my mom and sat down on the bed, pretending to read a book. Pretending I had been up this whole time. My mom opened the door and looked at me. Her strict frown morphed into a small smile.*

"Good morning, Y/N. How did you sleep my darling?" My mom said softly. I looked up at her and smiled. "I slept good, mom. You?" My mom smiled and shrugged. I stood up and walked down the stairs with her. She passed me a bowl of plain, gummy oatmeal and clearly burnt toast that was slathered in the saddest layer of strawberry jam. I put on a smile and reluctantly ate the food. Was this better than starving...? Probably not.

Once I finished the food, I walked upstairs into the bathroom and washed my mouth out with water, spitting it into the sink. "God that was disgusting..." I muttered softly. I grabbed my toothbrush and put on some toothpaste. My mom didn't get me an electric toothbrush because she thought it was "dangerous" so I just brushed my teeth like a 6-year-old did. This was humiliating for me. A 28-year-old living with their mom. After around three minutes, I spit out the toothpaste stuff and flossed with that string floss.

After I finished, I cleaned off my face with a washcloth before going to my room. I closed my door and sat down at my desk, grabbing some papers from a drawer and looking at them. Another packet of outdated English homework. I sighed and started working on it. This was like stuff for an 8th grader, and I already finished school!

After I finished the homework, I put it on the dining room table and went upstairs again. I sat down on my bed and read through my fantasy book. I looked up at the time. Already almost 11:00. My mom didn't have anything planned today, so this was going to be very boring.

--------------Four Hours later--------------

I had finally finished my book after a few days of reading it. It had good twists, characters, plots, and settings. I loved it! After a moment, I walked downstairs and up to my mom. "Mom. Since it's a weekend and you don't have any plans for today... can I go for a short walk? Please!" My mom looked at me and rolled her eyes. "I really don't care today, Y/N. Just... be back before 3:30." I smiled and hugged her for a moment before rushing towards the door and unlocking it. I went outside and slowly closed the front door. 

I slipped on my winter jacket and walked out onto the sidewalk. The trees had lost their leaves, and it was already December 29th. Soon it would be 2024! I walked down the street, my ears covered by the hood on my jacket. It was cold, but the jacket was warm and fluffy. As I walked, I noticed a lot of people taking away Christmas decorations. Only some people though, not all of them. I smiled and continued walking. The sun was already pretty low in the sky, but not enough for it to start setting. 

I took a deep breath of the sharp, crisp air. It was cold as it filled my nostrils. I chuckled, watching a snowflake land on my arm. I wiped it off and walked on. The snow crunched under my boots. After a few minutes, I made it to a small library and walked inside. I returned the fantasy book and left again. Cold air brushed by my face and I walked next door to a small shop. It was a jewelry shop, which sold good yet used jewelry for pretty cheap. Around 20-40 dollar price range. I had saved up enough for the one necklace-choker I wanted. it had black lace, and a pretty, blue gemstone hanging from part of the lace. I slowly grabbed the necklace and walked up to the counter, handing the cash to the cashier.

After a moment, the transaction was complete and they handed me the necklace. I smiled and walked outside, hiding the necklace in my jeans pocket. I ran back home, so as to not be late and anger my mother. I walked inside, closing and locking the front door behind me as it closed with a creak. My mom didn't even raise her head from her book when she heard the door open, just pointing at the stairs. I frowned and ran upstairs to my bedroom, closing my bedroom door. I took off my coat and took the necklace-choker out of the pocket of my pants. I smiled and put on the necklace. I looked at it in the mirror. The blue gemstone shimmered in the soft, warm glow of my lamp.

--------------Three Hours later--------------

My mom came into my room, almost like teleporting. Based on the look of pure rage on her face, I could tell I was in for something I wasn't going to like. She stomped towards me and looked at my necklace. She took the gemstone in her hand and ripped the necklace off my neck, tearing the lace with that sudden jolt. She put the broken necklace on the desk and walked out of my room. I watched her leave. She was being petty, considering she could have done much worse.

I closed my bedroom door. If she was going to rip up my necklace, why couldn't she close the door after she did it? I grabbed some sewing supplies from under my desk and started sewing where the necklace ripped. I frowned. I hate her. I hate her so much! I paused, my hands shaking as I looked down at the floor. I tried to take a deep breath, but my heart was pounding in my chest. I put down the sewing needle and walked over to my bed. I buried my face into my pillow and screamed as loud as I wanted, my screams being muffled by the pillow. 

Once I had gotten it all out, I stood up and wiped my tears away from under my eyes. I finished sewing up my necklace, glad I had gotten the one with lace instead of something like pearls or a silver chain. I then noticed something was... a bit off about the gemstone. It seemed to have a bit of a different tint. A slightly red tint. I wiped it with my thumb, but nothing happened. I frowned and put my necklace on my desk. I lay down on my bed and sighed.