Short story: A Salaryman's Supernatural Induction 16.

Satoru Mikami and Hana left.

A battle was about to commence and they strolled away leisurely.

To add to the oddity of the situation, there was no attempt by our current enemies to stop them from advancing deeper into the estate.

The men opposite us were strange, they gave off a lifeless atmosphere. It felt like they had no consciousness at all, like they were merely puppets.

"Why…why? I assume you all know what this clan is responsible for, so then, why?"

I once again questioned them. Deep inside, I knew I wouldn't receive a satisfactory answer but my mind couldn't easily move on from all of it.

The world I thought I knew is actually a stranger.

No answer came forth, they remained silent, dead eyes scrutinizing us closely.

"Like he said, there's no point huh…"

It was disheartening.

The man I respected, our previous clan leader, had been killed by the extremists.

It was sad to me at the time, but I had the will to move on.

For the noble cause he died for.

For the clan.

Leading the clan was something I had been preparing for, there was no outright acknowledgment of it but it was a tacit agreement that I would take on the mantle eventually.

No one expected it to be this early though.

As the dutiful person that I am, I faced my training seriously. I exercised diligence, hoping to also join the fight of honour against the extremists.

An organisation that managed to unite the clans under one banner.

That mission regarded as noble is now trampled on.

The people I considered allies now turn their backs towards us.

The true nature of the extremists is even shrouded in shadows to me right now, I have no idea if they are what we truly thought them to be. A lot of things are different, I see no reason why their "goals" wouldn't be another lie.

It makes me wonder, what?

What was the point of everything? What have we been fighting for?

What did my predecessor die for?

What is even….. genuine?

Truly disheartening.

Facing the true reality of our society, I question the futility of our efforts.

I remember all the looks of pity I got from the clan members.

"So young yet he has to take responsibility…."
"Why does he have to bear the weight? Can't it be handled by the elders?"
"At this rate he won't have a childhood…"

Such were the whispers I overheard by chance.

I understood them to some extent, but I ignored them.

I harboured no bitterness towards the clan for putting this on me. I always thought it was my duty, I believed that I had a responsibility to fight the same noble battle fought by my predecessors.

Now…now I'm faltering.

Here, static even though the enemy stands before me……

But no.

I won't waver.

Our main reasons for fighting the extremists might be a lie.

The nobility of our mission might be a sham.