Chapter 12. 1827 

Olivia gasped, her eyes overflowing with tears. Charles loved her, her. She squeezed his hands softly. "My dearest Charles, I love you too. You have brought joy into my life, joy that I never thought I would feel again. You and your children have made me smile. You have stolen my breath away, completely and wholeheartedly. You have made me feel whole."
Charles lifted his right hand and caressed her cheek. "May I kiss you?"
Olivia smiled. "You may."
Charles took her face between his hands, leaning forward until his nose brushed against hers. Slowly, his lips caressed hers with a tender kiss. He came away, his eyes dancing. "I love you."
Olivia smiled. "I love you."
They began kissing again, the passion and desire flowing through them. They held one another tightly, their tongues dancing in a beautiful waltz. They were very lost in their passion, so much so that they didn't notice someone watching them from the shadows. That is, until they heard the intruder clearing their throat behind them.
Matilda. "Well well well, it appears my half sister has gone from governess to whore."
Olivia turned and glared at her half-sister. "What are you doing here?"
Matilda stepped out of the shadows, her dark brown curls fixed into a chignon and her brown eyes glowing with satisfaction. She was wearing a dark red silk gown with off the shoulder sleeves a sweetheart neckline and cream silk gloves. "Is that any way to treat your sister?"
Olivia growled, crossing her arms. "I will ask you again, what are you doing here? I don't believe you were invited to this soirée."
Matilda rolled her eyes. "I have come to see a friend."
Charles slid one arm around Olivia's shoulders. "And who is that friend?"
Matilda smiled wickedly at him. "Lord Jonathan Bronson."
Charles rolled his eyes. "Oh yes, Barron Bronson. What exactly do you plan to do with him?"
Matilda. "That is none of your business your grace. More importantly, what were you and Olivia doing together?"
Olivia glared at her. "That is none of your business Matilda."
Matilda smiled deviously. "Oh, but I could have sworn I caught the two of you kissing earlier."
Charles. "You might have, you might have not. I suggest you turn and go back to your home."
Matilda. "Not until I have a private word with Lord Bronson. The two of us have decided to be married."
Olivia's eyes widened. "Married? Does your father know of this?"
Matilda rolled her eyes. "Father has been dead for nearly 3 years. He has left me quite an enormous amount of money to spend however I please."
Olivia. "And you believe marrying a baron is the best way to achieve what you want?"
Matilda. "If I want to become a Baroness, then I will."
Charles and Olivia exchanged a glance, trying to hide their obvious relief. If Matilda married Jonathan, they wouldn't have to see her again. Unless, of course, if she showed her face at public gatherings.
Matilda. "What do you think? Me, becoming a Baroness!"
Olivia plastered a smile on her face. "That sounds very lovely Matilda, I am very happy for you."
Matilda smiled radiantly. "Oh I am so glad you are! Just remember, I am going to become a lady of society, and you are going to remain nothing. Now, if the two of you will excuse me, I must go and find Jonathan. We have wedding preparation's to take care of."
Charles and Olivia watched as Matilda turned away and walked briskly into the ballroom. At last, they had gotten rid of her, without having to be rude. They could finally be together without any further interruptions.
Charles turned and caressed Olivia's cheek. "Shall we return to the ball?"
Olivia smiled, kissing him sweetly. "I believe that is a wonderful idea your grace."
Returning her kiss, Charles took Olivia's hand and escorted her back into the ballroom. They danced happily together for the remainder of the evening, their hearts filled with love and delight. No one would tear them apart again.
***
On the evening of 24 December, Charles gathered Olivia James and Anna in the parlor. Caroline was there as well, having been told that the Duke of Hastings had a very important question to ask Olivia, and was wanting her mother to be present. He also had a very special gift for his children.
James. "What is the special gift papa?"
Olivia. "You have been very secretive all day my dear."
Anna. "We want to know what the surprise is!"
Charles smiled, pulling out a dark red velvet box from the pocket of his trousers. "Well, I do have a very special surprise for all of you. But first, I must ask Miss Olivia Radcliffe a very important question."
Olivia gasped, covering her mouth as she watched Charles go down on one knee before her. Turning her head, she saw her mother James and Anna staring at the scene before them with wide eyes. She turned her attention back to Charles who was opening the box.
Charles smiled brightly, holding up a dazzling diamond ring in the shape of a rose. The band was white gold, the diamond composed of pink and lavender stones. He took her hand into his. "My beautiful and Darling Olivia, will you do me the extraordinary honor of becoming my wife?"
Tears cascaded down Olivia's cheeks, her heart overflowing with love. "Yes, yes I will."
James and Anna squealed with joy as they watched their father slide the majestic ring onto Olivia's finger. They suddenly realized that their Christmas gift was a complete family. They rushed over to Charles and Olivia, hugging both of them tightly.
Caroline wiped away tears. "Congratulations to the two of you. I couldn't be happier."
Charles smiled at Caroline. "Thank you. You are also going to be remaining here at Hastings Park."
Caroline gasped. "Your grace, I don't wish to intrude."
Charles shook his head, rising to his feet. "You are doing no such thing Caroline. I want you close to Olivia. Therefore, I am gifting you the cottage on this property."
Caroline smiled. "Thank you."
Charles returned her smile before turning his attention to James and Anna. He knelt in front of them, taking both of their hands. "Do the two of you realize what this means?"
James and Anna smiled brilliantly. "We have a mother."
Charles smiled back. "Yes you do my darlings. We are going to be quite the happy family from now on."