Chapter 2

"What time were we supposed to be back?" Spark asked out of nowhere, and I unglued my eyes from the screen enough to face her.

"I don't know, did he give us a time?" I asked, and she shrugged.

"No, I thought you would've known!" She squeaked at me, and I groaned in frustration. We were so screwed later, and I didn't know what was going to happen. I tried to focus on the movie that was about to start until other people came and sat down by us.

"Hey, did we make it?" I heard a guy's voice ask me, and I jerked my head towards him, and I was about to snap at him, but I decided against it when I saw the pure blue eyes.

"Um… yeah." I answered, and he looked over at his friend for a brief second.

"See, told ya we'd make it." He told his friend, and he scoffed.

"Yeah yeah, whatever. Let's just enjoy the movie." His friend told him, and they both shut up. I sat there too, silently, but I felt weird around this guy… who was he? Besides an angel, this feeling was weird… I haven't even felt it around Aaron… now I was starting to wonder who this guy was.

"Hey, you okay?" Spark asked, breaking me from my thoughts. "I think the movie's about to start."

"Oh yeah, I'm fine." I smiled, refocusing on the screen. The lights went as dim as they could and we all sat still in our creaky chairs as it started, and it was surprisingly in black and white. But as the movie progressed, it faded into color, and the land of Oz was remastered beautifully. The animation was beautiful, even on the crappy screen that had a ripped corner, and the explosions were perfect.

I don't know if it was because we had to go back or the movie was that good, but I was dreading it when it ended.

"Damn, we have to go back." I sighed, and I turned around to walk, but I ended up bumping into a tall figure. "Oh, sorry." I muttered as his hands wrapped around my wrists and he pushed me away gently, but didn't let go. It was silent as my head lifted slowly and our eyes met, and it was the same guy from earlier.

"No problem, um…" He trailed, and I escaped my fantasy enough to be able to talk to him.

"Marie." I smiled, dropping my arms so he didn't have to hold them.

"Ah, okay." He replied with a wide smile, revealing perfectly straight, white teeth. "See ya around, Marie."

"See ya…" I whispered, but as he started walking away, I called to him again. "Wait! I didn't get your name!"

"Jake." He called back, and I let the name settle in my head. Jake…

"Ooh, seems like you have a crush on somebody…" Spark teased, and I jerked towards her.

"What? No, no way. I have Aaron." I countered, and she knew a little bit about him, but not that much to question my logic.

"Really? I saw the way you were looking at him." She smirked, and I shoved her aside as I headed past her and followed the crowd out of the theatre. "Hey!" She whined, catching up to me. "You can't deny you were staring at him."

"I ran into him. Of course I stared, I wondered why he was in my way." I answered, crossing my arms angrily. I wasn't mad at Jake, just mad at Spark for getting all up in my case for it. I ran into him, and he sat by me in the movie theatre. It was nothing… right?

We were out into the brightly lit street and headed back up north to where we lived, passing by the depressed dead people that trudged along. I don't understand why they were so upset, they weren't in Hell. Although, Hell was a party compared to here. Anywhere was a party if my family was involved…