Chapter 7

I didn't like the fact that there's someone who's not an angel running around Heaven. I also didn't like the fact that not even God could scope the person out, and they were trying to kill me. But nobody, and I mean nobody, knows the truth about me except God. I haven't told a single angel about who or what I am, what I'm doing here, or anything about me.

So who the Hell found out?

My day off was over and I had to get back to work. Other angels were going crazy because they figured out what happened, because they didn't know if they were being targeted or not. God decided to not have me out in the field with other angels so Spark and I were assigned the kitchen… again.

"Cheer up, Marie." Spark insisted, taking down another stack of plates from the cabinets and placing them down where the hundreds of others were already lined up. "You were already dead, nothing could happen to you."

"But it still hurt, Spark. That's the weird part." I stated, running through the plates and dumping whatever breakfast mix this was onto it. "And then there's the fact that there is poison and someone's trying to kill me… again."

"But that's impossible." She snapped, sick of the argument. "We need to finish before we get in trouble."

"Fine." I muttered, getting the rest of it ready for the other slaves to take the plates out for the other angels. They came in about ten minutes later and carried them away, so I took a glass of water and put myself on the floor comfortably, and Spark followed, sitting across from me.

"Sweet, we're done." Spark sighed, taking a drink of her water and swallowing. "What now?"

"I'm going to go back to my room and hide." I answered, thinking it was safest.

Her eyes narrowed as she slammed her glass on the ground and glared at me. "No, no, I'm sorry, but that's not what you're going to do. I'm not going to watch you be helpless from what happened two days ago." She stated, standing up. She reached for my wrists and pulled me up, taking my drink and setting it down. "Come on."

"Where are we going…?" I asked as she took the lead and dragged me behind. We passed multiple angels when we left the kitchen, all avoiding me as much as they possibly could. She dragged me all the way to the head room, where God usually camped out, but I didn't really want to face him. I started pulling away, but she would only jerk me more.

"Come on, we're getting this fixed." She stated as she burst through the doors, and I saw God with some other angels at the screens, scoping out other lost souls who needed to be found. He whipped his head around once he heard us enter.

"Oh, it's just you." He sighed in relief, placing a hand over his heart. "I thought you two would be at the party. I'm about to head down."

"What party?" I asked, because honestly, I did not want to go to another party.

"The Easter party!" Spark exclaimed, letting go of me to clasp a hand over her mouth. "I completely forgot, sorry about that, we'll head down there." She apologized, but then grabbed me again just to be dragged out.

"I don't want to go, have fun without me." I told her, but she shook her head and dragged me some more.

"No, we're going to go have fun. God will be there, nothing's going to happen." She assured me, but I still wasn't. She would think differently if she was poisoned at the last party she attended.

We arrived there and I see a luxurious feast with stereotypical Easter decorations around, even though we were celebrating his death, not him being born… which was weird… but hey, a party's a party. People weren't really dressed up, but you could tell they were pretty bored and not really excited about this. Just standing around with a wide-open dance floor as jumpy music played in the background.

"An Easter party?" I asked, looking around to see all the bored faces. "He should get here soon so we can actually start it."

"Why? I'm all the party you need." I heard a voice behind me, making me jump and whip around, with spark following. "Oh, don't act surprised."

"I didn't think I was going to run into you again." I replied as he crossed his arms in a teasing manner, smirking at me. "I only saw you that one time."

"Yeah, but you gotta admit, before you were poisoned, it was great." Nathan teased, his darkish-grey wings flittering slightly as he approached me. "Now what do you say we start the dancing trend tonight?"

"In case you haven't heard, I don't exactly want to be drawing any attention to myself." I told him as he reached out for my hand, but I took a step back to ease the temptation. "So, I'm sorry, but I respectively decline."

"Aw, that sucks." He stated, snapping his hand across his body. "But…" He started before taking a step towards me, grabbing my hand anyway and pulling me towards him. "I'm not exactly the type of person that takes no for an answer."

I wanted to jerk away from him, but he was the strong one where I couldn't really do that. I let myself be taken with him as we were in the middle of the empty dance floor, as the other angels awkwardly glanced at us.

"Cheer up, nothing can hurt you out here." He assured me as the song changed to something slow, and all I could do was let him lead the dance. Whenever we turned I saw Spark on the sidelines, either laughing or in shock as I stood here with this almost-complete stranger, but we had the dance floor all to ourselves. I don't know if it was good or bad, but nothing shook the weird feeling I had when I first met him… or how I feel about him now. But this was different, because I was able to get a good look at him without the distraction of other people… it was just him.

When the song ended, I was extremely close to him, my face about an inch away from his, his eyes locked on mine. Our hands were intertwined and our chests were practically touching, but then something weird happened… people were clapping. I don't know if it was for us, but we were the ones out here… still alone.

I pulled away as I felt my face turn hot, and I lowered my head and ran to one of the edges of the dance floor, leaving him out there alone. I felt embarrassed to be doing that, and it was against my will. But once the song changed, more angels made their way out there to fill the space, and to also block my view of him.

"That was cute, I think he likes you." Spark teased, leaning over and bumping my shoulder once she found me on the wall.

"What? No, I-" I started, but she raised her eyebrows twice and made the stupid "ooh" noise that gossipy girls like to do. "Stop it, I barely know him."

"But don't you see? He totally is crushing on you!" She exclaimed, but I didn't know why she would accuse so much. I don't see it.

"Does it really matter? We're both dead so we can't really do much." I shot at her, and honestly, I didn't know what the deal was with that. But luckily the conversation stopped when I saw God make his epic entrance, and the other angels were clapping for him. He took a couple bows and we all made our way to the middle so he could stand on the mini stage and make his Easter speech, which I've been told is very long, but everyone has to hear it.

I stood at the back wall of the room because he was in the middle of his speech, and honestly, everyone looked like they were about to fall over and fall asleep. But then I hear the doors slam open, and voices launching off the walls through the room.

"Sorry we're late, looks like security increased since Christmas." I heard a male voice, and immediately my heart soar with hope.

"Woohoo! Party!" I heard two, distinctly-different girl voices too, and other angels began to back up to the sides of the room as I tried to make my way to the front. I didn't know why they were here, but I was pretty damn excited for it. Because if it is who I think it is, the party is going to turn into one Hell of a good time… or at least for me.