Chapter 6

My eyes jerked open as I shot up suddenly, screaming at the top of my lungs. My hands slammed on the clouded surface, and that's when I realized I wasn't fallen in the hallway anymore. I felt like I was having a panic attack, but the feeling was dropped when I saw the people around me.

"What happened? Are you alright?" Spark asked, dropping down in front of me and holding my shaking hands. "Tell me what happened."

"You think I know!?" I shot at her, snapping my hands away from her. "All I could feel was the pain…"

"You have to know something, what happened before you collapsed?" Brenna asked, and that's when I realized she was there with Jake, close as they always are.

"Why did I collapse? Why was I feeling that kind of pain?" I asked again and again, asking the room my questions I didn't know the answers to. They all stayed silent as I muttered them fast, rocking back and forth as I brought my knees up to my chest, clutching my arms around them. "There has to be some explanation I haven't found yet."

"Well, I'm just happy you're okay." Jake stated, making me feel somewhat better… "I mean, if we weren't dead already, it could've killed you."

"Yeah." I replied, trying to lose that subject as fast as possible. "But what was it?"

"We think you were poisoned." God spoke up finally, kneeling down in front of me. "But that doesn't make sense because any poison getting through that gate I would've known about. I know of all the angel's whereabouts."

"Maybe it wasn't an angel then." Spark stated, but he shook his head at that remark.

"No, no, I know I only let angels in through that gate." He told all of us, his voice booming everywhere in the clouded area. "I would've known otherwise."

"Well then something doesn't add up." I stated as Spark helped me stand up. "Can I just have the rest of the day off?"

"Sure." He answered, and as I turned around, I saw Brenna's sweet, smirking smile aimed at me. And then I put the pieces together.

"It was you!" I screamed, launching my arm and pointing at her with a straight index finger. "I can't believe you would do that!"

"Me?" Brenna asked, raising her hand up to her chest dramatically. "I would never do something like that."

"Oh, yes you would." I growled, approaching her, but she was still half an inch taller than me. "That drink was so poisoned!"

"Now how exactly would I get it past the gates without him noticing?" He shot back, pointing at God. "Please, you have to think things through."

"You're a bitch." I stated, and that made Spark almost burst out laughing, but she stopped herself.

"Marie." God warned, but I crossed my arms and my eyes never left her.