Chapter 18

"Marie, can I come in?" I hear Santa's voice, and I groan as I shove the piece of paper into my pillow case.

"Yes." I reply as he comes in.

"Look, I know it's been hard because of Aaron." He says as he closes the door. "But I know the little scheme you're going to try and pull. And I'm saying no."

"What scheme?" I ask, trying to sound unsuspicious. He doesn't look impressed.

"I'm not stupid, I see everything." He states, and I sigh.

"Okay, so? I need to see him, and I'm going to get to him. He still thinks I'm in Heaven. He thinks I'm up there, and he doesn't know when I'm coming back. I mean, sure, I haven't been the best girlfriend in the world, but I still am nonetheless. I bet he misses me. I bet he wants to see me and kiss me, just like I want to do to him." I whimper, feeling tears sprinkle my eyes, but I wipe them away. "You found true love. Why can't I be with mine?"

"One word." He says, holding up his index finger. "God."

"The Hell with him!" I scream, slamming my fist down, although it didn't hit anything. "The Hell with what he says! What can he do to you?"

"It's more complicated than that-"

"I'd like you to explain it then." I order, crossing my arms. "Tell me exactly how it's complicated, and start from the beginning."

"He's the reason my family and I are still alive, so I pretty much have to do what he says, or he kills all of us!" His voice booms, bouncing off the walls and echoing in my ears. "There would be no Christmas without him."

"Well then, I'd suggest finding a way to break off that agreement."

"It's not as easy as you claim it to be."

I feel my skin boiling, burning, fuming, furiously building up steam, but I have to look like I'm calm. "Then I'm sorry. But I'm seeing him."

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am." I state, hoping he'd take the hint that I really don't care what he says anymore.

"No, Marie." He growls, and I take a step back. "Hate to break it to ya, but you're not."

"Hate to break it to ya." I copy mockingly. "But you can't exactly stop me."

"Do I have to go get God involved? Is that what you're asking me to do?" He asks, pointing to the sky. "Because if that's what I have to do, I'll do it."

"Oh, are you really going to try and do that? Ask your good old boss to help you out in handling a sixteen year old?" I tease, throwing him a glare. "Pathetic."

"You know what?" He asks, waving a finger at me. "You are now on the naughty list."

"Ooh, I'm so scared." I say dramatically, approaching him, circling him. "Like you'd visit Hell now, anyway."

"How about I put Aaron on the list, too?" He shot back, and my jaw dropped. "Huh? How do ya feel about that?"

"He didn't do anything! Don't." I plead, breaking, accepting defeat. "He didn't do anything."

"Then I suggest you drop your little plan before something bad happens to you." He states before heading back to the door. "Or him." And he jerks it open, and I see it slam shut, leaving me alone, and feeling much, much worse than before.

What a bastard.

I glance over at the computer, feeling the need to talk to him, see him, kiss him, tell him I'll always be there for him. And I don't really care what Santa or God thinks. Isn't this what I have to do? 

~~~~~~~~~~

I was lying on my bed when I heard the door creak open, but I didn't yell at whoever it was. I just let them enter, closed my eyes, and waited for them to say something so I would know who it is. Hopefully it wasn't Santa again.

"I heard you talked to him." I heard Jake's voice, and my eyes opened. "I'm sorry things didn't work out."

"You don't have to be sorry for me." I whimpered, tossing to one side. "Feel sorry for Aaron."

"So, you're not going to go after him?" He asked, and I stayed silent. Truth was, I really didn't know. "Would Aaron go after you if you were in trouble?"

"He's not in trouble." I stated right after he stopped talking. "I just can't get to him."

"Would he be the prince while you were the damsel in distress if you two were apart just like you are now?" He asked, and I nodded. "Then go after him. If he really means that much to you, go after him."

"How would I be able to do that?" I shot up, glaring at him, watching his pure blue eyes flicker. "How can I do that? Tell me."

He stayed silent for a minute. "I don't know."

"Well, then you're no help, are you?"

"I'd suggest disobeying my uncle."

"What?" I heard his voice, and he came flying in through the window, floating next to Jake.

"Who are you?" Jake asked, glaring at the cold-hearted nephew of Santa.

"Jack Frost. The one and only." He smiled. Jake and Jack. That wouldn't get confusing in any way, shape, or form.

"Well, Jack." He mocked, annoyed that their names sounded almost the same. "You think she should just run away from the Pole?"

"I'm not saying anything."

"You're suggesting it!" I shriek, and he shakes his head.

"Well then, if you don't want to take my suggestion, fine. But I don't think Aaron will be too happy with that." Jack says, and my first instinct is to be furious, but I just can't.

"I'm sorry, Jack, but I don't think doing that is the smartest thing to do-"

"I've seen him." He cut me off, and Jake and I both turn to stare at him. "I snuck into my uncle's office to figure out who he was. I've seen him. I was there. The principal's kid?"

"What did you do to him!?" I scream, throwing myself at him, slamming him against the floor. "Did you hurt him? Touch him? I swear to God, you are-"

"I didn't do anything!" He insists, throwing me off of him. "He just… didn't look happy."

"Did you talk to him?" I shot, but he shook his head.

"No… but he had reddish-brown hair, brown eyes, and was kinda tall? Looked like a bad boy?" He asked, and I reluctantly nodded. "My God, he looked like a wreck."

"He is okay, right?" I pleaded, and he shrugged.

"I suggest you go find him and find out."

I switched my gaze from Jack to Jake, and then back and forth until my decision was made up. "Who's the best reindeer for flying?"