Chapter 20

“What do you mean, involves Aaron?” I whimpered, my voice shaking, and tears prickling my eyes. “What happened to Aaron? Where is he!?”

“Now, before you start, what happened wasn’t anyone’s fault-”

“What happened to him!?” I screamed, running up to him and grabbing him by his neck. “Where’s my Aaron!?”

“Marie, calm down or we can’t get anywhere-”

“I will rip you apart limb by limb unless you tell me where he is right now.” I growled, threatened, and everyone else around me froze. I didn’t have to see that my skin was bloodshot and a bright, deep red. I felt it. The anger and fear- and they all froze in their own terror of me.

“We’ll go to him.” He assured, but shook his head. “You’ll go to him. I have to stay here, but-”

“Stop it!” I ordered, jerking him towards me, his bearded face two inches from mine. “Take me to him. Now!”

“I have another friend helping you with that.” He stated as I was ripped from him, and fell onto the white, fluffy surface I knew too well. It took me a minute to realize where I was, and the long shadow casted over me.

“Oh, good, you’re here.” God stated, helping me stand. “We’ve got a little bit of a problem.”

“I’ve been told.” I replied, realizing I was back in Heaven, and I was already hating it. “I’ve been told something happened to Aaron. Can you take me to him?” I asked, seeing my skin was back to tan, well, actually whiter. I groaned as I reached for my head, feeling the round, smooth, circular surface. “Was the whole angel getup really necessary?”

“Yep, and you’ve got your wings to.” He replied, and I reached back, feeling the fluffy feathers, and also seeing the knee-length white dress.

“Can you take me to him, please? I don’t care if I’m an angel, I want to see Aaron.” I stated.

“Oh, yes I can, and you will.” He replied, and his arm was on my shoulders as he led me from the room, and then to the front gates.

“Where is she!? I know she’s here!” I heard his voice, and I gasped quietly as I quickened my pace, running to the front, but stopped a hundred feet away. “Let me in! Tell me where she is!”

“We can’t let you in, you haven’t been approved!” A guard at the front gate stated, and he was thrown aside by the guy who stood there. I started inching closer, but as I did, I found myself wanting to cry even more, and then I did. I didn’t bother wiping the tears away when I knew new ones would replace them.

Aaron was there, with his same reddish-brown hair and brown eyes, but he was so much more violent. But he was here. And I saw a dark hole on the side of his head.

“No…” I whimpered, looking up at God who caught up to me. “He didn’t…”

“He did.” He stated, and then I was on the floor with my head in my hands. “He killed himself. He’s dead.”

I felt so nauseous, and I wanted to throw up and cry an ocean. I wanted to wrap my arms around myself, but I couldn’t function properly. All I heard was Aaron’s screaming voice, and I knew this was the end of me.

But I had to know why.

“Why did he kill himself?” I choked out, looking up at him from the clouded floor. “Why!?”

“From what I saw from his bedroom…” He trailed off, looking back at Aaron, and then to me. “He said the one he loved was a slave here, and…”