Chapter 3

I made my way down to the dining hall with him as I spot Spark right away, sitting at our usual table. I waved Jake over to the table as he followed me, and I sat down across from Spark as Jake sat down next to me. A couple more people migrated over to our table, another guy and girl, and I was assuming they were his friends, even if he said he only had one friend.

"Hey  guys." Jake greeted the couple of angels who approached us and sat down. "This is Marie, I met her yesterday but we were working together today."

"Oh, okay." The new girl nodded as she sat next to Jake, intertwining her hand with his and pressing a kiss to his cheek. "I'm Brenna, Jake's girlfriend."

"And I'm Kyle." The other guy greeted, but a wave of either sadness or jealousy settled over me, or a mix of both. Who was this girl? I was really starting to not like her, although I don't know why.

"Hey, and who's that?" Jake asked, pointing at Spark, who was looking at everyone spastically.

"Oh, that's Spark. Died by a lightning strike." I informed, and she nodded spastically in return.

"Oh, that sucks." Brenna whimpered, picking at the food she had on her plate. "I was suffocated."

"Ouch." I muttered, and she shrugged it off.

"I got shot, I think I beat all of you." Kyle stated, and we all looked over at him in disbelief.

"Really? Prove it." I ordered, and he scooted one of his white clothed toga-robe looking shoulder sleeves to the side, revealing a black hold in his shoulder, and then one in his chest. "Holy shit, what happened?"

"School lockdown, crazy people." He answered, and the memories of my sisters came rushing back to me. "I think three people were killed."

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry." Spark whined, and we were all kinda silent after that, and thankfully nobody asked how I died, because I haven't yet. But Jake had a girlfriend? I don't know why that kinda made me upset…

Dinner ended, and we could either return to our rooms, or if God had us working a night task, we had to do that. I approached one of the multiple lists for the night tasks, and I was the third person listed, working on soul-catching, which was what we have to do when someone dies. We literally pinpoint their location and release the soul from themselves, and they come up here to become an angel. I usually don't work as one, though. Never really enjoyed it, although God never cared. Slaves do whatever he wants us to do.

"Looks like we're not on the list tonight." Brenna smiled as she wrapped her arms around Jake's waist, kissing his lips, making me turn away in disgust. "I guess then we could… hang out…"

"Sure." He smiled as he waved at me before heading away with Brenna, hands intertwined. I turned around fast and headed to the room where I was stationed, feeling my heart break into piece after piece until it was shattered.

I entered the room quickly, taking my station with all the other angels that were there. I sat at the seat in front of the screen I had, searching all over Earth for the poor souls. Many blinked on the screen, but I never did the whole soul-searching thing. I only spied on one person… Aaron.