Chapter 19

My plan was crazy. Sneak away from the North Pole with Dasher, who, from Jack, is the fastest and most steadiest flying reindeer. But anything was worth it for Aaron, even if I ended up getting myself killed in the process.

"Make sure you're warm. North Pole gets to below zero at night." Jack warned.

"And maybe find a rope or harness or something. I don't care if Dasher is the fastest and steadiness, you'll be prone to falling off." Jake ordered me.

"And eat a big breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Any small snacks also welcome, and maybe even bring something to eat." Jack suggested.

"And the best night's sleep you can possibly get."

"Alright, thank you!" I shriek, literally shoving them out of my room so I can get some space. And I finally get back to planning my well-needed escape.

So, a day later, when I get a full night's sleep and I do my work extra well and careful, I told Santa I was done with work and retired to my room, picking out the warmest clothing I had in the small closet. I had to wait until night, so I turned on the TV, watching whatever Christmas movie was on until then. It was weird, actually, about how good and touching they were. I couldn't really watch them in Hell because they never played and we never celebrated Christmas. Well, not the way normal humans did. I might just have to do something so I can when I get back.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was ten minutes until midnight when I finally found the courage to sneak out. The whole workshop was dark, because the latest shift was until eleven o'clock, and I'm sure every elf was asleep by now. I had multiple layers of coats on, but also a short-sleeve at the bottom so when I got to California I wouldn't look like a total idiot. Jeans finished it off, and with bright red, super fuzzy boots.

I crept across the wooden floor, making every effort not to make a sound or touch anything that might fall over, break, or crash. I took slow, deep breaths that were almost silent. But then again, the night and the workshop itself was silent.

It took a while, because I only had the moon to guide me, but I eventually found the reindeer stalls. They allow looked awake, or at least in my vision. I didn't realize they might actually be asleep and have no energy for my journey. Guess I didn't think that through.

"Okay, Dasher." I smile, approaching his stall. He just looked at me like a normal reindeer would. "Would you like to fly me all the way to California?"

I reached into my jacket pocket and pulled out a carrot, but the lights flickered on before I could give it to him. I turned slowly towards the entrance, and I saw Santa, in his red and white striped pajamas, tapping his foot… furiously.

"My office." He ordered, looking at his reindeer, and they all backed down and sat down in their stalls. "Now."

Holy crap I'm screwed.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Why on Earth would you try and take one of my reindeer out for a ride?" He screamed right after I learned the office was soundproof. "I specifically told you not to take out one of my reindeer. Were you seriously going to California!?"

"For Aaron! Nobody else!" I stated, and it was the truth. "I was going to come right back."

"I bet you were, and then when I'm short a reindeer for my trip in four months, who will everyone blame for Santa not coming to their house?" He asked, glaring and pointing at me. "They'll blame you, even if they don't know you."

"Well, what do you expect me to do!?" I shot back, slamming my fist against the desk. "If Mrs. Claus was out there somewhere, away from you, would you go to her?"