Chapter 4

1 hour later: We're sitting on the sofa in Greyson's office, going over the details of the case. "This seems easy enough. It's clear the mother just wants the money. I can't see the court giving her full custody."

"It's not that simple. If she wants to see the child, and she wants to see her mother, she may not get full custody, but they could give her half of the custody."

"Okay."

"We'd need to find a way to prove she doesn't have her daughter's best interest first, or that she is likely to abuse her power over Melany."

"What about finding a way to safeguard the trust fund, and see if the mother sticks around?"

"Now you're thinking. The question is-what's the best way to do that? Can you fetch me those files, please?"

I get up to get them off the coffee table but lose my balance and land in his lap. He catches me, one of his hands on my waist, the other on my breast. The second we both realize this, he takes a hand away, and a quickly get off of him. "Damn high heels. Sorry about that."

"There's nothing to be sorry about. In fact, maybe I'm the one who should apologize, although I assure you my hand found itself there by accident."

His eyes briefly glance at my cleavage before moving back at my eyes. His intense gaze makes me blush. He gets up to get the files himself, and hands me some of the papers. And in the process, he brushes his fingers against mine accidentally. With him, every physical contact feels like an electrics shock passing through my body. I know he felt it too, from the way his gaze lingers on my lips. "So, umm, these are really detailed."

"Yes. They are beautiful. Detailed, I mean. Papers."

"How long did it take you to get all this information?"

"I did all the prep yesterday."

"Only yesterday?" He shrugs off my surprise with an easy confidence. The gesture draws my attention to his shoulders, and I refocus my eyes back on the papers. "Impressed?"

I glance up, expecting a smirk, but instead, I catch him scanning me over like a predator looking at its prey. He's not even hiding the lust in his eyes. Oh, I could kiss him right now! But he made it clear where the boundaries are. And besides, for the first time since I started working here, he seems to be listening to my suggestions.

"I like some of the comments you made earlier. Make sure to type them down and e-mail them to be later. We've made good progress today. Maybe we can talk about giving you greater responsibilities in the future."

"I'd like that."

"I've also been thinking..." He hesitates, avoiding eye contact. "It wasn't fair of me to expect you to deal with Mia yesterday."

"You obviously didn't know she was going to show up. It wasn't your fault."

"Even so, it's not your job to get involved with my personal life. I just want to apologize and assure you that it'll never..."

At that moment, the door opens. "Hey Jocelyn, I've been looking all over for you!"

"Hey, Kelly. What's up?"

"Just wanted to check in on you. You know, to see how you're settling in."

"I was just finishing up with Mr. Howard, actually."

"Great, so you're free! How's your first full day been?"

"Can you take this conversation elsewhere? Last time I checked, this wasn't the local chat place."

Kelly rolls her eyes in annoyance. "Let's go to your desk, Jocelyn." As soon as we're out of his earshot, she makes a face. "I don't know how you've spent the whole morning with that asshole."