Chapter 9

It's been 2 days since Barcelona, and I haven't heard from Greyson. I knew he'd ignore me afterwards, but I had Jacob to look forward to. My phone rang, startling me. "Hey Jacob."

"Hey, want to meet tonight? I'm stopping in LA to see my sister and her husband later."

"I'd love to. What time?"

"8:30 at Lorenzo's?"

"Sounds great." I hung up, excited for the day to end already.

Forget him. He didn't give two shits about me. Men like him lose interest quickly. I exchange a few polite greetings on my way into the office and settle myself at the desk. 30 minutes later, Gabriel walks by my desk on his way to his office.

"Good morning, Mr. Howard."

"Morning."

Asshole. "How're you doing today?"

"Fine."

"Are you going to e-mail me the list of today's tasks?"

"Yeah."

"I can call Mr. Jones for another meeting."

"Already saw him."

"What? When?"

"Just now. At his house."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"So you could fuck up like last time?"

"Seriously? I'm supposed to be assisting you on this case! What's the point of me being here?

"I let you do plenty. I was thinking of letting you color code my filing cabinets this week."

"Okay."

"Just okay?"

"If you're leaving me in the dark about everything now, I'm quitting."

"How dramatic."

"I'm not joking. Not anymore. My notice is drafted and ready to print."

His gaze finally meets mine. I don't look away. I don't even blink once.

"I'm not bullshitting. I'm done Mr. Howard."

A defeated growl escapes his throat. "Fine. I wanted to meet him alone because I didn't want any distractions."

"Ah, I see." Suddenly, my phone rang. "Excuse me, I need to take this." I stroll past him and go outside. "Hey Jacob."

"Hey, I can't wait. Can I take you out for some lunch?"

"I'd love that."

"Great, be ready by 2?"

"Absolutely."

"Good."

I hung up and went back inside. "By the way Greyson, I never try to get in the way."

"I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about Byron flirting with you."

"Jealousy doesn't look good on you."

"Everything looks good on me."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

"Fine, if you want to get so involved, meet me in my office. Now."

"Greyson, baby, I've been waiting for you."

"What the hell?"

"That's not how you greet your girlfriend. Your assistant lied."

"Get dressed and leave."