Chapter 12

I have a long talk with Chloe on the way home. I wanted her to know that I'll be there if she's ever struggling with college. And in the morning when I wake up, I'm happy to see that she already went back to her classes. I feel awful this morning. Chloe sure knows how to alarm me when I'm least expecting it. I've not even had time to digest what went down with Greyson and me yesterday. The only thing that could make this worse if going to the office and playing mind games with him all day. I've never called into work sick before. But I think that today, it's reasonable.

I take out my phone and send Greyson a message: Good morning, Greyson. I'm not feeling well this morning, and I won't be coming into work today. He immediately got back to me: You seemed fine to me yesterday.

Jocelyn: well, I was fine, but I had an awful night and still don't feel like myself this morning.

Greyson: Okay, you can have the morning off. But there's a lot to do this afternoon, so I'll need you to come in later.

Jocelyn: I'll see how I'm feeling.

Now that I have the morning off, I think I just want to lay in bed and try to catch up on some sleep. Unfortunately, I still struggled to relax. My mind's eye kept wandering back to the thoughts of Greyson. I've always disliked men like him, but every time I think about the way he handled me in his office, I can't help but blush. Part of me even misses seeing him today.

My phone went off again. It must be him. Greyson: Have you recovered yet? The office is hectic, and I still need you to come this afternoon.

I suppose I'm feeling better now. I should get changed into my office clothes and catch up on some missed time. Plus, it would certainly satisfy my Greyson withdrawals. Staying home when I know he's struggling with his own workload could definitely be seen as unprofessional.

I report straight to Greyson's office as soon and I arrive at work. The moment I step into his office, his eyes lock onto mine, in a way that makes my heart melt. I try to maintain my breathing, but the tension in the room seems to have doubled since yesterday. He raises an eyebrow and looks me over head to toe.

It feels as if he's undressing me with his eyes. I suppose he thinks I'm hot! "I've been waiting for you all morning. If you pull any shit like that again, I won't be so forgiving the next time."

"Am I not allowed to have a sick day?"

"Not when there's so much to be done here."

"Why do you need me so badly?" He glances at me sharply, and I realize my question sounded crazy. "Last time I checked, we were ahead of schedule on the case. Plus, you have a whole firm of people."

"No one knows the case like you. I need you close at all times. Being my assistant is YOUR job."

"Are you sure that's the only reason?"

"What are you implying?"

"Oh, I don't know. It's just that yesterday you seemed to need me in your office for more of a personal reason."

"Is that why you called in sick?"

"No!"

"Was it not good enough for you?"

"No, I just meant, um..."

"I've never had any complaints in that department" he said, smirking.

That smirk he gives me drives me insane. "I'm here now. Just tell me what you want to do."

"I want you to tell me the real reason why you called in sick today. Because I sure as hell don't see any signs of a cold or flu. In fact, dressed in that outfit makes you look better than ever. I certainly hope you're not trying to get me to fuck you again."

"I drank too much last night with my sister."

He raised his eyebrows.

"Long story."

"Is that it?"

"And you..."

"I see... Well, this is the exact reason why I don't mix business and pleasure. We shouldn't have had sex in Barcelona. It was a bad idea. And the second time was a flat-out mistake."

"It was YOUR idea!"

"Don't lie. You don't realize I notice the way you look at me when we're all alone? Or the way you stop breathing when I touch you? The way you roll your head back when I kiss the back of your neck?"

"Greyson...

"It's Mr. Howard. Can you please work from your desk for the rest of the day? My secretary will fill you in on the tasks required."

Asshole.

"As far as I'm concerned, this is over in terms of pleasure. Am I being clear?"

"Crystal."

Once again, I found myself confused at how the hell our relationship flips back and forth. He's a bipolar asshole! How could he turn his feelings off so easily? I guess he is used to being a cold-hearted jerk.

I silently focus on my work for the rest of the day, until it's finally over. I promise myself tomorrow will be a better day.

*The next day: I need to remember I'm in this job to further my career. I can't let anyone get in the way of that. As I sit at my desk, I think to myself hmmm... Greyson hasn't emailed me any tasks for the day. So, I decide to message him.

Jocelyn: Morning, Mr. Howard. I'm just waiting for your email to come through for the day.

Greyson: AutoMessage: "MR. GREYSON HOWARD is currently out of office. Messages will be responded to as soon as possible." That's strange. Here comes Kelly. Maybe she'll know where he is.

"Hey, Kelly."

"Good morning, Jocelyn."

"Mr. Howard hasn't sent me an email this morning, and he's offline on the messaging system. Is he out for a meeting?"

"Oh, did he not speak to you before he left?"

"No. Where did he go?"

"He went back to Barcelona last night. Said he had some business to finish up there."

"He went without me?! Without telling me?"

"I don't know what you did, but he mentioned you were "too inexperienced" to handle this case. He asked me to transfer you to another boss and he's put a request in for a new assistant."

"What?"