Chapter 26

*** The following day, we agree that our focus should be on uncovering our blackmailer's identity. As soon as I walk into Greyson's office, I swear I see him blush a little at my outfit. I confidently shoot him a winning smile.

"So, have you thought about who our blackmailer could be?"

"The obvious culprit is Byron's ex-wife. But we know Carmen was in Barcelona when the video was taken. She must've had an accomplice who had access to my office. No matter who I consider, the evidence keeps pointing at one person. Someone who would have plenty of opportunities to plant a camera in my office and has a clear motive too."

"Who's that?"

"Kelly. She wants the partner position, and she knows if I lose the case, the job will be hers. She's always entering my office uninvited, plus she's definitely had suspicions about us for a while."

"You're right. As much as I hate to admit it, I think she could be playing a part of this too. She hasn't been herself with me since I started working here."

"Exactly. We need evidence. A confession maybe. She's in her office this morning."

"I'll go and speak with her right away."

"You're the best." He softly kissed me.

"Jocelyn, darling, so lovely of you to drop by."

"Hey, Kelly. I dropped by to get some advice from you."

"Of course. What can I try to help you with?"

"The trust fund case. Honestly, I'm starting to have doubts about our approach. I'm worried we might lose the case tomorrow."

"It's normal to feel nervous because your first real case. I still remember mine like it was yesterday. But as much as I hate to admit it, Mr. Howard is one of the best around. He somehow wins the judge and jury over every time. You might not always understand this approach, and he might have some surprises up his sleeve. But you can trust his professional judgement."

"So you're not worried about us winning the case? I know it could influence Bakewell's decision about the partner position."

"Why would I be worried? I would love for you to win your first case, Jocelyn! You were one of my best students, and I expect great things from you. As far as the promotion goes, may the best man or woman win. It's exhausting trying to fight my way up in this company, but I know my time will come whether if it's now or in the future."

"I hope your time comes too, Kelly. Thank you for reassuring me."

"My door is always open for you."

"I'll remember that."

"How'd it go? Did you get any evidence?"

"Quite the opposite. I think she's innocent."

"How can you know that?"

"She genuinely wants us to win this case. And as much as she wants to become a partner, she's not desperate enough to take such measures. Is there anyone else it could be?"

"The only two people who have a key to my office are Bakewell and Brooke, our receptionist."

"It wouldn't be Bakewell. He wouldn't want you to lose a case."

"True, but he is extremely strict when it comes to office affairs. He could be looking for a reason to fire me."

"What about Brooke?"

"She was accidentally double-booking clients, and let's just say I have zero tolerance or mistakes. I had a stern word with her a few weeks ago and she didn't take it well. Maybe she wanted payback."