Chapter 14

*** Meanwhile... The look on his face to still see me here was priceless. If he wants to pretend like we never happened, that's fine by me. I'll show him how professional I can be. I still have so much to prove.

As the next few days pass, I begin to notice Greyson's tasks are making my job as difficult as possible. But much to his arrogance, I maintain my professionalism, stepping up to every challenge. I refuse to show weakness, noticing he's losing his cool.

"Good morning, Jocelyn. I forgot to include a few items in the task list. I'll need you to file all the August reports, draft a document for Mrs. Slater, and do some more research on trust fund legalities."

"When would you like to be done?"

"The end of the day."

"That can't be possible! Mrs. Slater's document will be at least 8,000 words alone! I..."

"Are you saying you can't do your job?"

"Oh, I'm more than capable. Consider it done."

"Good. I wouldn't want a reason to fire you."

"Of course not."

There's no way she can finish all of these jobs.

There's no way I'll let him see me fail at this.

"Oh, I also forgot to bring lunch today. Would you mind having some delivered to my office in an hour?" He gives a big fake smile and walks away.

Asshole! I should've known he'd do this. If I'm going to get this done, I'll have to delegate some tasks. Report filing can be easily done by our legal secretary. I'll also ask her to get takeout from the cafe she visits for lunch. next, I know Kelly had a trust fund case a few months back. I can ask her to share her research files. That would leave me free to work on Mrs. Slater's paperwork for the rest of the day.

My fingers are aching by the time I finish typing up Mrs. Slater's document. But I do it on time. And so, when Greyson calls me to his office, I feel confident for action.

"You wanted to see me, Mr. Howard?"

"Yes, I wanted the draft of Mrs. Slater's contract."

"I already emailed it to you an hour ago."

"You did? Completed?"

"I know better than to do a half-finished job."

"What about the filing?"

"Done."

"The research I asked for?"

"In the printing room. I also took it upon myself to highlight the areas which were relevant to our case."

"So...you finished everything?"

"Yep!"

He blinks at me, completely speechless. "I, um... I didn't expect...Thank you."

"No problem. Anything else?"

"What?"

"There's still 20 more minutes."

"No. There's nothing else I can think of. Nothing work-related, anyway."

He looks at me with a mischievous grin. "There's plenty of other activities that we could do in 20 minutes, though."

"What are you suggesting, Mr. Howard?"

"You've been a very well-behaved assistant today. I know that's not an easy task for you. So, I suppose you should be rewarded."

His fingers find the top of his tie, as he begins to loosen the knot.

"What are you doing?"

"Don't you think it's getting a little hot in here?"

I watch, wide-eyed, as his hands move down to his shirt buttons, slowly teasing them open. His muscles tense, and he almost seems to caress himself as he proceeds to show more skin.

I can't believe he thinks he can just fuck me to win back power over me.

"I suppose it is hot in here. Would you like some help with that shirt?

"Well, it's a two-person job."

"You've been saying all the right things today."

"I have?"

"Yes. You don't even just know how irresistible you are." I slowly move closer to him, until we're inches apart. I linger for a moment and watch the rise and fall of his chest quickening under my gaze. I slide my hands under the fabric of his shirt, and I push it over his muscular shoulders and down his arms exposing his rippled torso."

"Enjoying the view?"

"Very." Clutching the shirt in my hand, I realize how bad of an idea this is. As I beeline toward the door, he quickly reacts and blocks my path.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Let me out."

"You have my shirt. Do you think I'm stupid?"

"Well, you certainly aren't very insightful if you think for one second that I'd come crawling back to you, after how you've treated me."

"I've treated you like an assistant. If you don't like it, you should just quit."

"Oh, you'd love that, wouldn't you?"

"Yes. Because then I wouldn't feel guilty every time I look at you. Every glance makes me want to rip your clothes off. If you quit, maybe I'd be able to do my job properly."

"That's why you tried to get rid of me?"

"I told you. I can't have anything or anyone throwing me off right now."

"You didn't even have the decency to tell me. I thought you were having some kind of power trip."

He grins at me, then leans closer and whispers "Maybe I was. In fact, I still am."

I feel the heat of his bare torso, only inches from me. I feel my pulse speed up. Stop, Jocelyn. He reaches towards my face and strokes my lips with his thumb. I feel like melting under his touch, feeling like my plan has backfired. Knowing how badly he wanted me this whole time... He slips one hand around the back of my neck and another around my waist. I can't do this. It's so wrong. He leans down, showing the need to feel his lips on mine.

"This isn't very professional of you, Mr. Howard."

"Should I act professional?"

"Yes."

"Fuck professional." He lowers his lips on mine, but this kiss is hard and desperate. I slide my hands over his back, remembering how it felt to feel him inside me, laying on his desk. I want it again... A moan escapes my lips and then I nearly jump when someone knocks at the door.

"Who's that?"

"Ah, I... I'm not expecting anyone."

He opens door, seeing Brooke. "I'm sorry to interrupt. You have a visitor here to see you. I know it's almost 5, but he said it was urgent."

"Send him in."

My eyes widen when I see it's none other than our top client. He seems stressed.

"Mr. Howard and Jocelyn, you have to help me! My daughter Melany found out about the lawsuit. She disappeared!"