Chapter 22

The evening is cold and grey as I make my usual trip back home. I try to ignore the angry tears stinging the back of my eyes. As I approach my building, my heart skips a beat the familiar figure standing outside. "What the..."

"I'm sorry to show up like this, but I had to speak to you."

"Have you lost your damn mind?! You ignored me all day at the office, and now you want to talk? At my house?"

"Please, let me explain. Can I come in?"

"Fine, but it better be good."

"Thank you for letting me speak to you. Firstly, I want to apologize how I spoke to you in the office today. This-us- is new to me. I'm still learning how to treat you not only as an assistant but also as someone who I care about on a deeper level."

"Oh." My face starts to redden but I look away.

"The reason why I avoided you is because Mr. Bakewell is suspicious about us. I don't want to risk your future career, Jocelyn. I... I don't think we can continue this affair. I'm sorry."

"I knew something like this would happen. I'm disappointed I put my job at risk."

"I'm sorry I put you in that position."

"The job means everything to me. I don't want to lose it. But...I don't want things to end with us either."

"I feel the same way. But I would hate myself if I jeopardized your career. You're a driven woman, and that's one of things I've liked about you. I'm sorry, it's not our time."

"You're right. I don't want to screw this opportunity up. So... I guess...This is over."

"There's one last thing. I'm not ready to let you go straight away. Let me take you on a proper date. We'll go somewhere we can't get caught and spend one last evening together."

"It still sounds risky..."

"Far from it. I have a boat. We can get away from all of the drama. Just you and me."

"It'll just make things more complicated. I'm sorry."

"I understand, it was a long shot. I'll see you at work on Monday."

"Goodbye, Greyson."

The rest of the weekend passes by in a blur. I try to keep myself busy, but my heart is aching for him. I know my feelings will continue to consume me as soon as I see him in the office.

Next Monday... It's going to be okay. As long as I avoid him, I can make it through the day.

"Jocelyn, I'm glad you're already here."

"Didn't expect you to be here so early Mr. Howard."

"Are we back to "Mr. Howard" again?"

"I just thought..."

"It's okay. Carmen is back in the country, and we're going to meet her again."

"It's finally time?"

"Yes."