Chapter 18

"Mr. Howard, Kelly has just invited me out for a birthday lunch. I'd love for you to join us."

"I'm sure Kelly wouldn't want me there."

"You've got one thing right today, Howard."

"....so my answer is yes."

"Of course it is."

"Perfect! Now, if you both excuse me, I've got some work to do."

The morning flies by, and soon it's time for lunch. Kelly chooses a boutique cafe nearby, full of French pastries, cakes and other sweet treats.

"Kelly, this place is adorable!"

"It's okay."

"I thought it would be perfect for an understated birthday lunch. I'm glad you like it! Greyson, I wouldn't expect you to appreciate a place like this."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You wouldn't approve of anywhere that's not a big overpriced Michelin star restaurant."

"I'm sorry, are you trying to insult me by acknowledging my excellent taste?"

"No, I'm trying to insult..."

I take a deep breath.

"Thank you. To both of you, for joining for my lunch on my birthday."

"It was the least I could do. I'm glad we could smooth things out between us."

"Smooth things out?"

"Yes. I may have underestimated Jocelyn's loyalties to you. She's a very good assistant. I'd hate to see her waste time on an asshole like you."

He scowled. "I..."

"Guys..." I shook my head.

"Fine. I'm glad that's one thing we can agree on."

"She WAS taught by the best."

"Thank you, I'm glad you finally admit that."

"I was referring to myself."

"I should've known there was a catch." Greyson nudges my leg under the table. I look into his eyes and see a slight glint of amusement. Seeing that he's secretly having fun, I relax.

"I've learned a lot from the both of you. I know you're both going for the partner, and honestly, the firm would be in good hands with either of you in that position."

"You seem awfully diplomatic for a lawyer."

"A good lawyer knows which battles are worth fighting for, Kelly."

I can't get either of these two to agree on anything!

"Would you excuse me while I use the bathroom."

"Sure."

Kelly leaves the two of us alone.

"So, have you got any birthday plans?"

"Yes. I'm being taken out after work for a drink. Then I'm meeting with some old friends."

"You're being taken out after work, huh? That doesn't sound wise when you have work in the morning."

"You know I'm always on time."

"Even so, I don't like the sound of it."

"Why?"

He inches closer to me, our hands almost touching. I can feel his breath on my cheek...and there it is: the urge to kiss him. Right here, in this public place. I push the temptation away.