Chapter 20

The next two days pass in a frenzy of meetings, with little to no contact with Greyson at work because he's barely in his office. His routine morning e-mails give me no indication of his inappropriate late-night birthday messages and the sex that followed. It's as if that night was magical but never happened.

Was it just because he was drunk? Did he regent it? I could have spent the entire weekend over-analyzing the meaning behind all of it. But luckily, Melany's piano recital was the best distraction. Once I finish changing into a long, silky red dress, I hear the doorbell ring. That must be Byron. As I opened the door, I was right. "Hey, Jocelyn! You look stunning. I love your outfit. It only adds to your natural beauty."

"Thanks, Byron. You look handsome tonight, too."

"Thank you. Melany is waiting in the car."

"Let's get going."

"Melany is amazing on the piano! I had no idea she was so gifted."

"I don't know who she gets it from. I'm as tone-deaf as a doorknob."

I laugh. "I find that hard to believe. I heard you singing to the radio when you were driving earlier."

"You heard that? I thought you were busy talking to Melany! I'm embarrassed."

"You shouldn't be-you have a lovely voice."

"You must be the first person who thinks that. Do you have any hidden talents? Aside from being smart, funny, beautiful..."

"Keep going- you're spot on, so far! "

"Ahem."

"Melany! I didn't see you there."

"We were just saying how talented you are!"

"Yes, you were sensational on that piano."

"You think so?"

"Absolutely!"

"Thanks, guys!"

"I'm going to say hi to an old friend, then we ca get out of here."

"No problem."

As soon as he's out of hearing range, Melany smirks. "I overheard what my dad just said to you."

"You did?"

"Yes. He obviously likes you."

"I don't know..."

"I do. I haven't seen him like that with a woman for years."

"I'm glad to hear that, because I really like your dad too."

"That's great! I've been hoping he'd meet someone. I'm 17 now. I'll be moving to college soon, and I hate the thought of leaving Dad on his own. I just want him to be happy."

"He's lucky to have a daughter like you. I want him to be happy, too."

"So... will I be calling you stepmom any time soon?"

I gasp. This went way too far very fast.

"I'm joking!"

"Good, because I think it would be frowned upon to have a daughter who's only a handful of years younger than me."

"We can be sisters!"

"Much better!"

Byron rejoins us, visibly pleased to see us getting along.

"You two ready to leave?"

"We sure are."

We drop Melany off at her friend's house before heading back to Byron's place. I spend the car ride thinking about my conversation with Melany. I'm glad she's so welcoming toward me, because want to get to know Byron better. It feels nice to have a life outside work. To get my mind off the secret affair with Greyson. At least for a while.