Chapter 21

"But Greyson, we agreed..."

"I know what we agreed. But it's not working, is it? Every feeling I have for you is far from professional. And judging from the way you blush each time you walk into my office, the problem is mutual."

"None of that matters. This job means a lot to me, and I don't want to screw it up."

"What if I assure you that I won't let my personal feelings affect my professional judgement?"

"It would help. But aren't you worried about your own job?"

"I single-handedly doubled the firm's profit within my first year here. I'm not worried."

"Knock knock."

I nearly jump in surprise.

"Jesus, Kelly. Why are you always sneaking around here?"

"Good afternoon to you too, Mr. Howard. I just came to check up on some department reports. But it seems like I've interrupted something."

"No! You weren't interrupting anything."

"It's not urgent anyways. I'll catch you tomorrow." Kelly walks out of the room as silently as she came.

"We can't continue this conversation here. We're already raising suspicions."

"That's not surprising. The energy between us is nuclear. But we're not done yet." He looks me over, his eyes lingering on my lips.

I suppose I could invite him back to my place. "Sorry, but it's too risky to do this here. You've given me a lot to think about. But judging on your past behavior, I'm not sure if this is what I want. I need to clear my head."

"Sure. Think about it, I won't rush you. I... care about you, Jocelyn."

I stare at him, speechless.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yep." I toss and turn in my bed all evening. I want Greyson, I can't deny it, but everything about him screams trouble. I lay under my covers, painfully awake, counting the minutes until morning...until I get to see him again.

I suddenly get a message from Greyson. Our first meeting has been cancelled. Meet me in the cafe for breakfast.

Jocelyn: Is that supposed to be a question?

Greyson: No, it's an order.

I guess it's time to go. "Good morning, Mr. Howard." He raises his eyebrow at my use of his last name, and I see a smile in his eyes.

"Good morning, Jocelyn."

"Any reason why you demanded me here?"

"Is it crime to be treat my assistant to breakfast every once in a while?"

"Something is giving me toothache this morning. I don't know if it's these pancakes or how surprisingly sweet you're being."

"I've been called many things before, but "sweet" is a new one. You bring out hidden sides of me."

"It suits you. I can't help but wonder one thing."

"What is it?"

"Your sudden change in heart-did it have anything to do with me seeing Byron last weekend?"

"I won't deny it, I don't like seeing you with another man. I was afraid of...losing you. Even though we aren't really together, are we? But I've felt like this for a while. I thought if I ignored it and focused on work, I'd forget about it. But each day I suppress the urge of fucking you in my office was another day or pressure building up inside me. I couldn't keep the facade up."

"So that's all it was? Sexual tension?"

"Yes. No. It's more than that. You're different than anyone I've met before. I'm still trying to figure it out." His phone rings. "Sorry, I have to take this. It's Bakewell." I quietly sip my latte, watching Greyson's confused confession.

I think he has deep feelings for me, but he seems conflicted about it. I watch him talk on the phone, as his face harden and his brow furrows. "We should hurry to the office."

"What's wrong? What did Bakewell say?"

"He wants to meet with me immediately. It doesn't sound good."

"Do you think it's about the partner job?"

"Maybe. It's hard to tell."

"Go on ahead without me. I'll take my coffee to go and catch you up."

"Okay, see you at the office."

"Thanks for coming in at short notice, Greyson."

"No problem."

"How are you making progress on that trust fund case?"

"It's going well, sir. Our court date is approaching, and we're almost ready."

"And that assistant of yours- have you been getting on?"

"Yes, sir. We smoothed things out our issues, and we're working much better together now."

"That's good to hear. I knew it was the right decision not to let this one go. However, it's come to my attention that certain rumors have been going around."

"What kind of rumors?"

"It doesn't matter. I don't believe in the whispers that go around. That being said, I'm not ignorant to the goings-on in my company. I'd like to remind you of the non-fraternization agreement that you signed upon employment, staying immediate termination of your job if this rule is broken."

"Yes, I remember that ridiculous piece of paper. But I'm dedicated to this company. I win every case, and I bring in the big money. With all due respect, I know I'm not that disposable to you."

"You're right. But your female counterpart might be. Respect the rules of my company, Greyson or someone else will end up paying for your recklessness. Understood?"

"Loud and clear."

"You can leave now."

30 minutes later... "Hey, how did your meeting go?"

"Fine."

"Was it about the partner position?"

"No."

"Then what?"

"Nothing that concerns you."

"Excuse me?"

"Jet get on with your tasks. I'll be in meeting all day, so don't disturb me."

I press my lips together, trying to hide the hurt on my face. What the hell is wrong with him?!

Without a second thought, I hurry back to my office before he senses my emotions. I'm so sick of his mood swings. Back and forth, hot and cold... I was naive to think he had feelings for me.

I keep my head down for the rest of the day, trying to distract myself with mindless tasks. As the clock approaches 5, I realize I need to hand some files back to Greyson. I take a deep breath to steady my demeanor and walk confidently back into his office only to find it dark and empty.

I can't believe it! He left without saying a single word to me! And after everything that he told me at breakfast... I knew I couldn't trust him. I knew he didn't really care. Why can't I learn to just walk away?