3

CHAPTER 3
Domenico
Wednesday

I hung up the phone with my little sister Lola, and I couldn't help but feel I had just made a huge mistake agreeing to give this friend of hers an interview.

The main reason we have stayed distant all these years is that we want her to have no part of this world. So, I think I will just indulge my little sister and let her have her little friend come in for the interview. Then I'll call her a couple of days later and let her know that it isn't going to work out.
Picking up my phone again, I started dialing Lorenzo's number to see how the job is going. Also to let him know why Lola called since I'll be having lunch with her on Monday. I knew he wouldn't be able to make it because he had to go out of town tomorrow night.

One of our "associates" was refusing to cooperate and I'm betting on as soon as they see what the fuck Enzo has in store for them; they'll change their fucking tune quickly. I cannot stand defiance. If I wanted something done, it had better get that way. No questions asked and promptly.

"Nicky, what can I do you for," my little brother answered in typical fashion.

"You know how I feel about that," I sighed with annoyance into the phone. "How did the job go? Did you get all the information we needed?" I leaned back into the seat, answering his question with a question of my own.

"Don't I always," Enzo replied, and he chuckled, sounding a little too smug.

I won't lie, Lorenzo is definitely arrogant for a reason, and I have to give credit where it was due. The man had always gotten the job done ever since we took over the family business. Zero questions, just the way I liked it.

He had always made the other guys look bad. I guess that's why I made him my right-hand man. Blood or not, if he were shit at getting the job done, I would put him with our lower-level drug runners.
When my uncle forced us into the family business, he wasn't too pleased to find out that we started pushing weight behind his back. He had the nerve to give us this whole spiel about how our family is "against dealing drugs."

Apparently, it's their number one rule.

I guess he should have thought about that before he forced myself and Lorenzo to take part in our illicit family business.

I had never been one to play by the rules. I'm Domenico Mariano for fuck sake. I did what I wanted when the fuck I wanted and who was going to stop me?

I wasn't always this way.

But once I got a taste, there was no way I was going back to that punk-ass kid with college dreams. I quite enjoy doing what I do and all the perks that come along with it: the money, the power, the women, and, most importantly, the goddamn respect. I'm fucking living The American Dream; Tony Montana could suck my dick.

"Good. Get back to the office as soon as you can so we can go over the plan to get the Lunas off our goddamn backs," I answered dryly, unamused by his complacency.

"Sure thing, boss man," Lorenzo's sarcastic tone seeped through the phone, and I rolled my eyes, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Oh wait, Nic, Lo called me, but I wasn't able to answer the phone... hands bloody and all," he laughed and I snorted at his arrogance. "Do you know what she wanted?"

My younger brother inquired, sounding more than concerned for our estranged younger sister.

"It was nothing bad. She was just calling to ask us for a favor, which she never does. So I indulged her for the time being anyway." I responded, still unsure about the fact that I'd even agreed to this in the first place.