50

CHAPTER 50
Catalina

Instead of going home, I went to Matteo's house. I don't know if I was seeking comfort or what, but I didn't want to be alone. However, the more I drove, the more things started to click. Little things he would say here and there were playing in my head on repeat. Like the time he told me Nic and Enzo would have killed him if anything happened to me, or the time he asked if I was trying to get him killed by flirting with him in front of them. Parking my car off the street instead of in the driveway needing the fresh air, I walked up to his place.

I knocked hard, still wearing my blood-covered clothes. The door swung open, and Matteo's eyes almost bulged out of his head when he saw me standing there. He quickly stepped out of the house, inspecting my entire body before cupping my face so I could look up at him.

"Hey, what happened? Was there an accident? Where is your car? Cat, talk to me."

I stood there frozen, and he shook my shoulders. I knew the answer to the question I was about to ask him, but God, I wanted to be wrong. So fucking wrong. I shook my head and closed my eyes.

"Did you know?" I asked.

"Did I know what?" Matteo asked. I opened my eyes to look up at his gray ones that were filled with so much concern. "Why are you covered in blood?"

"They killed him," I blinked a tear away. My head was throbbing from all the crying I did on the way over here, and I couldn't take any more tears. 

"Who killed who?" Matteo pulled his brows together, trying to decipher my coded statements.

"Nic and Enzo killed Liam. They-they shot him in the head," I finally explained, but my words hadn't even phased him. My heart broke, even more, confirming what I already knew. "You knew," I told him.

He closed his eyes and nodded, but he didn't say a word. Everyone I loved had been lying to me.

"Have you killed people too?" I asked.

Matteo opened his eyes, my face still in his hands, and he bent forward, resting his forehead on mine, and shook his head. I leaned into his touch, letting him wrap his arms around me.

"Look, Cat, I didn't want you to find out this way, but part of the job was to—" Matteo started, but I pushed him away, cutting him off.

"Not you too." I frowned. I could forgive a lot of things, but murder? Murder was off the table. "You're just as bad as they are." He tried to reach out for me, but I smacked his hand away. "No, you're worse!" I pointed, digging my finger into his chest. "You were my friend first. I trusted you. Y-you were everything, and you lied to me too!"

"Cat, please." Matteo stepped towards me, but I leaped backward off the steps, landing on my feet, backing away from him.

"No!" I yelled. "I-I wa-want you, Nic, and Enzo t-to stay the hell away from me! Do you understand?" I gritted through clenched teeth. "If you come anywhere near me, I'll go straight to the cops and tell them everything I know!" I spat out, full of rage, my emotions getting the better of me.

I would never do that, but I needed him to believe me. Judging by the hurt expression on his face, he did.

Good. I turned on my heels, hauling ass to my car away from the hurt, the lies, the pain, and everything I thought I knew. 

ツ hope you enjoyed it.

Vote ♡ Comment ♡ Like ♡