Chapter 3

"Interesting neighborhood," Tristan said as they pulled up outside Paris' building, it was definitely a change from the area of New Haven they had just left.

"I know, Paris had some issues at the start of the year that affected where she could afford to live, so this is where she and Doyle ended up."

"You mean that whole IRS thing?"

Rory looked at him in shock.

"Sometimes Gilmore you forget how small Hartford can be," Tristan responded to her unasked question.

"I really do," Rory replied, climbing out of the car. "We should go up and say hi first maybe, and make sure she has her million locks undone."

"How about you go empty handed and I will bring up the rear with a few boxes, leaving your arms free for knocking?"

"Okay, that will work. Thank you again for your help, you are making this much easier for me especially when you don't have to."

"Really Rory, think of this as an apology for how I acted in school, and I'd like to think I am a decent human being. You needed help, I am in a position to provide that help, so here I am."

"Well, still, thanks," Rory muttered, as she maneuvered her way into the building clearing a path through the gang that had converged around the front porch. "She is on the third floor, there, um, isn't an elevator sorry."

"I can handle some stairs," Tristan said, laughing at her as they made their way towards their destination.

Rory knocked on Paris' door as Tristan leaned the boxes against the wall to help with their weight as they waited.

"Who is it?" was shouted from behind the door.

"Paris, it's me, let me in," Rory shouted back.

"Who is me?"

"Jesus, I think she has got crazier," Tristan muttered beside Rory.

"It's Rory. Come on Paris, you knew I was on my way." Rory said, exasperation in her tone. Rory and Tristan both listened to the rattle of deadbolts, and chains being undone, Tristan who had thought that Rory was joking about their number, looked at her in shock.

"Told ya."

Finally the door swung open, Rory didn't think she had ever been so relieved to see Paris Geller in her life.

"Oh Gilmore, what did that asshole do this time?" Paris asked.

"Paris," Rory started, before they were interrupted by a cough. Paris, upon hearing the cough, looked past Rory in shock.

"Tristan?" she asked, confused.

"In the flesh. I'd love to make small talk Paris, but while these boxes were not heavy when I first picked them up, they definitely are now." He said, raising the boxes so that she could see them.

"Come on in, how much more is there?" Paris asked, standing aside to let them through.

"Where can I set these?" Tristan asked as he surveyed the apartment, trying and failing not to show his shock at its rough interior.

"Over there."

"There is probably one, maybe two loads left in the car, if you come and help us carry?" Rory said.

"It might be best if just the two of you get your stuff, this is not the best building to be leaving doors propped open in," Paris admitted.

"I actually agree with her," Tristan said, before looking at Paris sharply. "Enjoy that sentence, I will probably never say it again, and I will deny it to my grave Geller."