Chapter 17

Bold is Rory

Italic is Tristan.

I'm not entirely happy with my formatting for this one, so I apologise in advance!

The following Monday morning, Rory was just finishing drying her hair when her cell beeped, with an exasperated sigh she moved to check her phone, fearing for the worst with such an early text on a Monday, it couldn't be a good thing.

Good morning Mare, I hope that you have a good day, and that it is just as nice as day in NYC as here x

Rory was pleasantly surprised to see it was from Tristan, and it looked like he had remembered part of their conversation at dinner last week.

Tristan! You scared me. I haven't even had my coffee yet, I was preparing for the worst to get such an early text on a Monday.

I was hoping I'd be early enough that you weren't awake yet. Looks like I need to aim for earlier next time.

Monday's are always an early day, departmental meeting each week at 8:30.

That's no good! We have ours on Thursday afternoons for some reason. I think it is because the partners like to take long weekends a lot and a dept meeting on a Mon/Fri would show that.

True, I also need to discuss my more active schedule with my boss, so I'm hoping he is in a good mood. I ordered the fancy bagels for this week.

OOO the fancy bagels, going all out? I hope you got the good cream cheese to match.

Of course! What kind of neanderthal do you think I am?

The fancy kind?

Lol. I have to finish getting ready and get going or I really will be late. Have a good day Tristan, Thank you x

There is nothing to thank me for, have a good day, and good luck with your boss x

Rory had just sat down on her couch with a glass of wine, and a new book, one that she had not been involved with in any way so it didn't remind her of work, when her cell beeped again.

How was your day? X

It was ok. Tristan, you don't have to text me everyday, I wasn't hinting at that last week.

Just ok doesn't sound like a great day, what did your boss say about the Hayden group stuff. And I want to text you, when you said that last week, I realized you were right, it would be nice to have someone to talk to like that. So this is me, trying to give us each someone to talk to until we eventually settle down.

Rory had to laugh at the matter of fact way that he put it, while also realizing that he was correct. If they could each provide that comfort to a friend until they found a proper partner, they should.

Work was ok, my boss was fine about it. He knows it's mainly a figurehead position and I can do a lot of my editing work remotely if I need to, and I already read more new manuscripts than I'm supposed to.

I bet you are reading one now, with a glass of wine.

Ha jokes on you, I'm reading something already published, and by a different company!

Bet you have the wine though.

Ok, you got me there. How was your day?

Hang on, you didn't tell me what happened to make your day blah? My day was good, I sent a new copy of my plans for approval by the client so I am just waiting to see if I need to make any changes.