Chapter 22

Rory had just finished changing out of her work clothes when she heard the buzzer go, she checked her watch just to realize that she was running later than she had thought, as she hurried to open the door.

"Hey, come on in. Sorry I just got home from work ten minutes ago, so forgive me for any disorganization."

"What's your excuse the rest of the time then?" Tristan asked with a smirk as he made his way into the apartment, continuing on to the coffee table to set down the bags of take out he was carrying.

"Haha, very funny. A meeting ran late and then the subway took forever." Rory watched him set the food down, moving to go get utensils. "I thought we were ordering when you got here?"

"We were, but then I realized I go past the Chinese place you like on the way here from Lennox Hill, so I just grabbed all the usuals. That's okay, isn't it?" Tristan asked, suddenly realizing that he maybe should have clarified with her before picking up their meal for the night.

"No, no, it's fine. Was just a surprise, is all. What would you like to drink?" she asked, heading towards the refrigerator.

"A beer if you have one."

Rory carried 2 beers and 2 glasses of water over to the table to have with their meal.

"Movie?"

"Sure, what would you like?"

"Can we do Top Gun?" Tristan asked, turning the puppy dog eyes to Rory.

"Again?" Rory asked, exasperatedly.

"Please? I brought your favorites?" Tristan pointed out her favorite dishes on the table.

"Fine, but this is the last time for at least six months!"

"Yes!" Tristan exclaimed in excitement at his win, quickly bussing a kiss to Rory's face.

"So how is your grandfather?" Rory asked.

"He is doing about as well as expected. He is recovering but he is old, and he isn't exactly healthy. At some point all the liquid business lunches, after dinner cigars, along with golf being your only form of exercise, catches up to you."

"That is true, he is in his eighties, isn't he?"

"He is." Tristan said with a resigned nod. "I hate to say it but I think he probably only has another six months, I don't think this was a wake up call, I think it was a warning to get everything in order and say your goodbyes."

"I'm sorry Tristan," Rory said honestly, looking at him sadly from her spot at the other end of the couch.

"So how did the party go last week in the end? I'm sorry I had to run out in such a hurry." Tristan asked, brightly.

"I think it went okay. I have had some authors be extra approachable this week, willing to listen."

"That is good, did you stay late?"

"A while, I was talking to Rachel, who works with me, and her fiance for a lot of the evening. They are considering getting married in Hartford so they were asking about venues."

"That's good, I felt awful about leaving you. Did that girl, Marissa, tell you?" Tristan asked innocently.

Rory realized he must have forgotten that she had told him the answer to that already, but then again he was so flustered during that call, any memory lapses would be understandable.

"Umm no, she disappeared around the same time as you. I didn't see her again until work on Monday."

"Oh shit, so you just thought I left you?" Tristan asked, paling at the implications. "Did she tell you on Monday, that's why you finally answered me, huh?"