Chapter Thirty Nine

Three years later

"Babe? Are you ready?" Tristan asked, as he walked into the bedroom buttoning the cuffs of his shirt. Looking up he saw that Rory was sitting at her vanity staring mindlessly.

"Honey?" he said, softly this time, touching her shoulder so as not to shock her.

"Where did you come from!" she exclaimed, jumping up in shock despite his better efforts.

"I did speak as I walked in, but you didn't answer. Are you okay?"

"I'm just nervous."

"What are you nervous about? Everything will be fine."

"That's easy for you to say," Rory scolded, "all of your input is finished ages ago!"

"Still this is like the official opening for all three of us," Tristan stated, brushing a kiss against Rory's forehead. They were getting ready to attend a launch party for Rory's debut novel, it was being hosted in Finn's new hotel in Hartford, which Tristan had designed for him.

"I know, it just feels like a lot of pressure all of a sudden."

"Your book is amazing, soon everyone will see what I see."

"And what is it that you see?" Rory asked, in a slightly teasing tone, still too nervous to tease normally.

"I see my very hot, smart, talented wife, who managed to write the first of what I am sure will be many books, all while managing other authors' careers, and while we bought a house and settled down."

"Settled down?" Rory smirked up at him.

"Well attempted to. We are married homeowners, so technically settled." Tristan said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her in for a kiss. "I don't think I ruined your lipstick," he said, furtively checking as he pulled away.

"I hadn't done it yet, I knew I wouldn't get out of the house without you doing that at least once." Rory laughed.

"You know me too well, I better do it again then," he said smugly, as Rory giggled while he lowered his head again.

When Tristan and Rory reached the hotel they were greeted by Finn and Poppy, who had actually married eighteen months earlier with a large society approved ceremony, which was probably the most conventional thing either of the two had done.

"Hi Finn, everything looks great," Rory said, greeting the couple with embraces.

"Thank you!" Poppy exclaimed. "I keep telling him that, but he always gets so anxious before the first events are hosted at each new location."

"The true test is how the event runs," he exclaimed, before he wandered off having spotted something out of place.

"Is everything okay?" Tristan asked, looking where Finn had disappeared concernedly.

"It's all fine, really. It is just his nerves. This is one of the first Morgan Hotel's where Finn was responsible for nearly every decision entirely by himself, so he is feeling some extra pressure. But it all looks great, Tristan, your design was perfect for the location." Poppy said, trying to reassure him quickly, knowing she would probably have to reassure both her husband and friends more before the evening was done.

"Come on, I want to check everything is set up," Rory said, pulling her husband, while Poppy followed behind, rolling her eyes.

"Everything is set up perfectly. I did a lot of it myself. I know just how you like launch parties set up." Poppy spoke as they entered the room.

"Wow, Poppy, you were right, it looks great," Tristan said as he looked around the room, taking in the display table covered in signed copies of Rory's book. "Didn't she?" he asked Rory, prompting her out of her daze.