Chapter 20

Hey, I hate to bug you but are you busy next weekend?

Next weekend? Nothing important is coming to mind, why?

My office, the publishing one, is throwing a massive Labor Day Gala and we have all been ordered to ensure we bring respectable dates. All the head honchos will be there so I can't rely on what nonsense a stranger might spout. Are you around at all to be my plus one? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Which day is it?

Saturday night.

But it's the weekend before Labor Day, not actual Labor Day weekend right?

Yep.

Okay, fine. I can do it, but you owe me.

Also...

What? What else is there?

There is a dress code.

How dumb is it?

White tie.

Really? Ror! Tails and all or just a tux?

I think they are hoping for tailcoats, they made a joke about the hat being optional.

Oh you will owe me big!

Thank you, thank you!

"Coming!" Rory shouted, as she ran barefoot to open her front door. She was pleasantly shocked to see how good Tristan looked in his tailcoat and white tie ensemble, he looked good, really good, it was almost enough to make her forget to invite him in.

"Come in, Come in. I just have to go get my shoes and shawl, I will be right out." She said walking into her bedroom. "Do you want a drink?" she shouted out through the open doorway.

"No, I'm good. You said we were leaving straight away, right?" Tristan asked, as he hovered in her entrance.

"Yep, I am ready to go right now," she said, walking out looking much more composed than thirty seconds earlier.

"Wow, you look amazing Rory," Tristan said, looking her up and down, taking in the silver V-neck floor-length chiffon lace dress with rhinestone covered lace at the top.

"Think I will pass inspection?" Rory quipped.

"Definitely. I think you would even pass an Emily Gilmore inspection in that dress, you look gorgeous," he said sincerely.

"Thank you, I'm pretty sure Granddad had to give Grandma an ativan at the idea of me picking a gown without her help, and she's up at the Cape so she couldn't get to the city easily. Let's go, the car should be downstairs for us."

"Where is this thing anyway?" Tristan asked, holding Rory's shawl as she locked her door.

"It's at Gotham Hall."

"I've never been there," he said, pressing the button to call the elevator.

"Me either, but it's meant to be really nice. Jessica in marketing was at a wedding there recently and they really impressed her."

"I thought they would have rented a library or something."

"They did that a few years ago for the Christmas Gala, they rented the New York Public library. They can't be seen to repeat that again for a few more years, if ever."

"That makes sense." Tristan stated, as they got off the elevator, he was already looking for their car, which he knew was pointless, as he wasn't even sure what form of transport they were taking.