Chapter Thirty Two

Rory was waiting at Penn Station, Tristan's train was due any minute. He was coming in for a five day weekend so that they could go apartment hunting. Now that they had been together almost eighteen months, they had decided it was time to move in together. It probably would have happened sooner if they lived in the same state already, but due to the distance they had had many discussions over which one of them would move.

Flashback

"Tris, I should be the one to move, I already have to travel to Boston a lot for Hayden stuff so it makes sense."

"No Rory, you only have to come for the firm like two days a month. Would you do the rest of the time?" Tristan asked, only to interrupt her before she could answer. "We both know all the publishing companies around Boston specialize in non-fiction, which isn't what you want to do."

"I could make it work," Rory started earnestly.

"I that you could and would, but Rory, you love your job. You love the authors you work with, reading the new manuscripts, everyone in your office even. I have hit the max level of progression that I am going to in my office, and I mainly just tolerate a lot of them. I have been offered positions previously to come back to Manhattan, I think that now is the right time."

"But Tristan, I don't want to make you uproot everything." Rory said, squeezing his hand.

"You aren't. It is my choice. Really Rory, I would probably be making the same choice even if you weren't involved," he said, leaning over and giving her a light kiss, not wanting it to distract from the conversation.

"Okay well then, I think we need to look for a bigger place, a place that is ours."

"Are you sure? You love your apartment, and it is big enough to work. No, I know you like to bring work home sometimes, and so do I, we need more than a one bed apartment. We need a den or a second bedroom, something big enough that we can both have a place for any work we bring home."

"Okay, where?" Tristan asked, agreeing with her reasoning.

They had managed to agree on trying for the Upper West side. It was an area that they knew well, and they both liked it. Rory had found four places that they both liked the look of, so they were going to try and see them all. Thankfully, they all had the same listing agent so it was easy to arrange the viewings. She hoped that one of them was the right fit for them.

"MARE!"

Rory looked up at the call, only to be engulfed in Tristan's arms.

"Tris, I missed you," she murmured into his ear, as he had her pulled tight against him.

"I missed you too," he replied before pulling her in for a passionate kiss, well as passionate as they could be for the sake of common decency considering they were surrounded by people.

"How was the trip?" Rory asked, as they moved and Tristan's hand slid into hers.

"It was okay, I brought some papers that I had to review, and it passed the time. Plus now I don't have to find time to review them over the weekend," he smiled, giving her hand a swing.

"Do we need to drop anything off at my place, or what would you like to do now?" Rory asked, so she knew which direction to start walking.

"I only have this bag," he said pointing to his leather laptop bag. "I figured I have enough stuff left at your place to tide me over for the trip. So do you want to go eat? Or is it too early?"

"Shake shack?" Rory asked. "Or do you want something fancier than that, or take out?"

"Shake shack actually sounds perfect." Tristan said with a smile, leaning down and giving her a quick kiss, before leading the way.